Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-29-2005, 02:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Leather Dying Why?

I don't understand this has been healthy for the past 3 months now all of a sudden during the shedding stage it looks more like a dying stage. What is causing this? Levels are all good. I have a 55gal. 260Watt CoralLife Power Compact, 3 1W Lunar Lights, Live sand 4in DSB, 75lbs. Live Rock, 2 Cinnamon Clownfish, Firefish, Magenta Dottyback, snails, crabs, Feather Duster, Sabae Purple Tipped Anenome, 1 White Leather Coral, Red Sun polyp, assorted polyps, 2 Assorted Color Plate Corals, Pipe Organ, Frogspawn, Fox Coral, Flat Brain, Finger Leather, Mushrooms, Green Star Polyps, 2 8" Maxima Clams, Wet/Dry filter, Protein Skimmer, Heater, I have the Liquid Plankton and also frozen plankton and brine shrimp for food. What can be causing this? It has just shedded but now looks weird. I never touched it. I thought leathers are supposed to be easy to keep?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59422509@N00/

Old 04-30-2005, 01:28 PM   #2
steve-s

Please post the exact numbers for all your chemistry and water parameters.

Did the coral come attached the way show in the pic or was it placed between the two rock pieces?

Was the discolored area on the edge of the crown always there or new?

Any sign of "lumps" or lesions that seem to move from place to place?

What additives do you use besides foods?

Do you use carbon? How often do you do water changes and how much?

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-30-2005, 01:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nitrates 0 Nitrites 0 salt 1.024(LPS stated keep it at this) I have carbon in the Protein skimmer and also in the wet/dry filter everything gets cleaned once a month water change 10% week. Additives only trace elements from Kent. This I placed between the two rocks it opened up nicely the past 2 months in this spot. The discolored edge is new, No Lumps Seen. Is this dying? If so I will throw it out
Old 04-30-2005, 02:05 PM   #4
steve-s

It's not dieing but you do need to move it out in the open. The elevation is fine but be sure it is placed in a med-low flow area. Skip the trace element additions as well. Your saltmix will do everything you need if doing 10% weekly water changes. The extra could easily adversely affect the invertebrate population.

The SG is fine but do you know the alk, Ca and pH levels? How often do you change the carbon/what brand?

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-30-2005, 02:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I moved it so that it isn't touching anything http://www.flickr.com/photos/59422509@N00/ Do you think it will come back?? Thanks
Old 04-30-2005, 02:22 PM   #6
steve-s

The elevation was fine before, moving it up was not necessary and most likely placed it in a higher flow area as well.

Can you post a new full tank shot? I can then suggest a few placement options.

Quote:
do you know the alk, Ca and pH levels? How often do you change the carbon/what brand?

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-30-2005, 02:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is not in a higher flow area and it was the only free spot for it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59422509@N00/
Old 04-30-2005, 02:45 PM   #8
steve-s

Please e-mail me the "right side" pic

Cheer
Steve
Old 04-30-2005, 02:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I tried to email please go to the site that I posted and click on the right side of tank pic thanks
Old 04-30-2005, 04:22 PM   #10
steve-s

It's okay, after some hunting I was able to find the image URL from the page source. Your web host disables right click options.

Anyway, here are my suggestions. They will allow each coral better placement.

Cheers
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11629981_299e2fb505.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	2272   Click image for larger version

Name:	11629980_8e631f0caa.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	2273  

Tags
dyi, dying, eat, leather

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com