Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2005, 11:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Leather has not been opened for two days

Tank has nothing changed. Just tested the water and everything is normal. The leather has a slime on the top. Any suggestion?

Old 01-23-2005, 11:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Leathers do this on occasion. They kind of shed their skin so to speak. I had 1 go 3-4 days once. It is fine now.

Old 01-23-2005, 11:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Probably sloughing. My toadstool has not opened up for over a week now. When he does open, it's usually for 2-3 days. I think he wants higher water flow, that'll be my next test. Give him some time.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I wish that is the case. It is one of best.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Leathers do have a tendency to do this, but they do seem to do this less when they are happy. My cabbage leather closed up and was shedding every other day when I first got him. Once I gave him a little more light and a lot more flow it is rare to see this coral closed during the daylight hours at all unless some reef janitor is irritating him.
75 gal planted/cichlid tank
PatM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Funny thing you mention MORE flow..... my toadstool wasn't happy until I lessened the flow on him......
Old 01-24-2005, 02:45 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mine also. Normal behaviour. Each time I think he's just going to stay open all the time....he shuts down often for many days at a time.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

It is still closed, please see my Gallery for before / after pictures. Light is 2x150W MH and MJ 1200 is about 12 inches away. So light and flow should not be the issues.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I only say more flow for my leather because I intentionally moved him to the lowest flow part of the tank. He's been there for a month and has only opened up three times, for maybe 2-3 days at a time. Some debris is collecting on him now.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

How long has it been closed?

Ok, just read the title again and it is 2 days. If your water parimeters are good and nothing has changed, then 2 days is really nothing to worry about at this point. Use the turkey baister like I said in an earlier post somewhere. They are very hardy.

Tags
eat, leather

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com