Leather has not been opened for two days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wlam18

Aquarium Advice Activist
Tank has nothing changed. Just tested the water and everything is normal. The leather has a slime on the top. Any suggestion?

Leathers do this on occasion. They kind of shed their skin so to speak. I had 1 go 3-4 days once. It is fine now.

Probably sloughing. My toadstool has not opened up for over a week now. When he does open, it's usually for 2-3 days. I think he wants higher water flow, that'll be my next test. Give him some time.

Leathers do have a tendency to do this, but they do seem to do this less when they are happy. My cabbage leather closed up and was shedding every other day when I first got him. Once I gave him a little more light and a lot more flow it is rare to see this coral closed during the daylight hours at all unless some reef janitor is irritating him.

Funny thing you mention MORE flow..... my toadstool wasn't happy until I lessened the flow on him......

Mine also. Normal behaviour. Each time I think he's just going to stay open all the time....he shuts down often for many days at a time.

It is still closed, please see my Gallery for before / after pictures. Light is 2x150W MH and MJ 1200 is about 12 inches away. So light and flow should not be the issues.

I only say more flow for my leather because I intentionally moved him to the lowest flow part of the tank. He's been there for a month and has only opened up three times, for maybe 2-3 days at a time. Some debris is collecting on him now.

How long has it been closed?

Ok, just read the title again and it is 2 days. If your water parimeters are good and nothing has changed, then 2 days is really nothing to worry about at this point. Use the turkey baister like I said in an earlier post somewhere. They are very hardy. :D

i have a few different leathers in my tank, they all open and close at different times and for different lengths of time. the only time i moved one is when my toadstool wasnt opened for two weeks. i move him to higher flow lower light and it has been good ever since. but it still closes for a couple days and sheds and then is open for about 5-7 days. i would give it a couple of days and see what happens.

steve r

My toadstool closes every night. Then just as soon as the lights pop on he's back taking in all the light I can muster. :mrgreen:

it re-opens tis afternoon when I came back from work. It had been closed for three+ full days. Now I am happy..... Thanks all...

Back
Top Bottom