Leather shedding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amanda_marie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I purchased what was labeled as a Sinularia leather about three weeks ago.

It looked like the first photo when first placed in my tank but opened up in a few hours, like the second photo shows.

I did move it up onto the rock a couple days later and believe it was happy there as it opened up shortly after I moved it.

For the last week it has looked like the last photo.

It's one of my first corals and I'm still learning but I'm pretty sure it's just shedding. If so, any information on shedding would be appreciated (how long, how often, etc. ) from experience.

Are there any obvious signs its shedding and not sick that wouldn't be obvious in a photo that I could add?

If it isn't shedding, or could be sick, Ill list what parameters I can and answer any questions of course.

Also, best I can tell all my other corals (mushrooms, ricordia, polyps, zoas) look fine, no change.

Thanks!

Attachments

• image-4009781121.jpg
    image-4009781121.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3136190672.jpg
    image-3136190672.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 92
  • image-1298194394.jpg
    image-1298194394.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 88
I checked my parameters last night and nothing has changed.

Ammonia- 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate ~20
pH - 8.2

Salinity - 1.026
Temp -79-80F

My nitrates are still a little higher than I would like but I'm preparing water for another water change. They've also been at this level, or close to, for some time. I also ordered a different nitrate test (salifert) that came in today just for comparison. I'll test when I get home from work to see what it reads. I'm currently using API liquid tests.

Again, my other corals, inverts, and fish look fine. The leather looked a little taller today, for lack of a better description, but still kinda shiny and polyps aren't extended.

I'm hoping its shedding but am not sure.

if your using the api kit cut back amount of drops to 5+5 it will give you a more accurate reading with nitrate I did that before I got my new sulfert kit

my toadstool sheds as it grows bigger so I would think thats what yours is doing since there both leathers

if your using the api kit cut back amount of drops to 5+5 it will give you a more accurate reading with nitrate I did that before I got my new sulfert kit

my toadstool sheds as it grows bigger so I would think thats what yours is doing since there both leathers

Thanks!

I had been reading about the accuracy of the API nitrate test kit, since it seems my nitrates are higher than I believe they really should be with my stock, equipment, feeding schedule, etc. I read quite a few complaints about them flat out being way off, reading high, something about dividing the results, etc. I just couldn't find any real answers, with proof, so I decided I might as well get the better test. I look forward to seeing what the results from that test are.

Anyway, I was pretty sure that leathers would shed before growing as I had read that I just don't know much about that process. Like how often is common, how long the process could take, and what the leather actually looks like when its sheds. I know I read somewhere that it having a 'shine' to it was some sort of indication it was shedding. Like I said, I just wasn't sure and wanted an opinion just in case I was way off and it is unhappy/sick.

Back
Top Bottom