leather tank disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flame82

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok so i got a bunch of frags and mostly leather well there all dead now however all my sps lps are alive and well what gives ? my cand canes and encursting monti are fine except one monti has taken a hit due to the leather dying off.

all spec: .1.026 salinity 80 temp ph alk calc nitrate nitrite mag stro phos all perfect

ammonia was zero and now is .25ppm i did want to but used enough prime to lower the ammonia hopefully to zero with all the dying corals thrown out of the tank now.

using alot of carbon to hopefully take out any chemical warefare from the die off

all the test i use are rea sea and sailfert

and all corals were drip acclimated and did fine the first day.

any suggestions as why this happend or what else i can try. i dont want to do water changes just yet i figure that will stress them even more. and never again will i try a garden variety tank

are you certain they are dead? many soft corals take a while to acclimate to a new tank. tyey may just be dormant right now. just a thought

steve r

please post exact numbers...what is the ph, alk, calcium? etc

also, chemical warfare is usually initiated by leathers, and does not occur from die off, but before anything may die. You are making a mistake by not doing water changes, that is what should be done, not adding additives.

yeah they fell apart when i tried to remove them slowly and i already have some of the corals pervoiusly in another tank and i have never seen them look like that so i just removed them and they smell awful, and pretty much a chain reaction and the only corals that will survive as it look right now are zoo's and candy canes.

hara spec are: ph 8.2-3, alk was 2.9meq/l according to the sailfert chart, and calc 400

and the water changes i have done before but they in my experience may help but it just doesnt dullute the ammonia fast enough to any good for me and i have used prime for over a year until i switched to ro/di water recently and corals all dropped babies and grew double so i am not using anything i feel unsafe and wont use anything else besides the prime just to help a bit

well i am not to worried now since it going to what it wants i will just wait for the tank for the next few weeks and let i settle and maybe just add sps and lps to the tank and leave the leathers to my other tank.

Back
Top Bottom