Leather Toadstool looks like its Bleeching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

Ok I have had the Leather for quite some time.. 5 months or maybe 6 months.. It has been doing great.. I just recently changed salts to Crystal Seas MarineMix and did a 2.5gal change in a 55gal tank to make the change over slow.. Everything else seems to be doing great.. Carpet, Acro, Sps, lps, softies and livestock.. The only thing is this has gone from a tan color to an almost yellow color.. I dont have my camera on me at the moment but will have it tomorrow.. I have noticed that most of yesterday it did not extend its polyps until late in the evening and had them out all night but was partially shrunk down.. All levels are great..
pH 8.0
sg 35ppt
temp 81-82
ammonia 0 nitirte 0
nitrate 0
Ca 400
alk 3.09
I believe thats all.. As i stated the only recent changes made were the addition of the carpet anemone on the opposite side of the tank and changing over the salt as it was the only thing in stock.. It is definetly getting lighter.. here is a pic of it not too long ago.. and now it is pretty yellow

TIA,
James

Wife and I both say yes it does look shiny.. it looks like its glowing lol.. It looks pretty bright yellow.. Do you think i should just nor worry about it?? Its the first and only time I have seen this.. I am probably just worried about all the reports that the marinemix salt causing bleeching.. Still think its becuase of the shimek hype and ppl wanting to try and change out their entire tank.. But who will admit fault right lol..

Thanks Again,
James

along the lines of shedding I have also read that one should run carbon to help rid the tank of the nasties during this time.. Will seachems purigen suffice or should i run out and buy GAC.. I havent ran carbon since it was initally setup and have ran purigen for about the last 2 or 3 months.. Seems to work better..

James

Yes, just make sure it's getting plenty of flow and it should open back up in a few days. It is quite common for them to do this.

I think the purgen is fine ;)

ok here is a picture of it as of this afternoon..

James

without a before pic it's hard to say whether it is looking good or not, but that looks like a fairly healthy leather to me, the polyps could have better extension, but they are out.

The before pic was posted in the very first post...

james

nope I havent seen it as of yet.. I just noticed this color a few days ago and thats why I asked.. I was like honey does it seem like its getting lighter to you?? and she was like yes.. and i was like why lol

James

It looks like it could be bleaching, but sounds like it is shedding. Watching this to see what everyone has to say on it.

Kaye

Back
Top Bottom