Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2005, 10:35 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Leathers not opening and brown tips

Take a look at the 2 leathers. leather1 has been fine but I noticed the edges are brownish. leather2 has been off and on since I tried to eradicate some anthelia next to it. I noticed the same brown tips. The bases appear to be fine but I have not seen any polyp extension in a few days.

Do they look ok?

Old 01-19-2005, 01:45 AM   #2
steve-s

Look like they're sloughing. As long as you see no really dark discoloration, they should shed soon enough and be back to normal. I would do what you can to get some distance from the anthellia though. It does not seem to be damaging it but it is causing it some stress.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-19-2005, 09:59 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Steve. The leather by the anthelia has not fully opened up in about 2 weeks. I actually removed the rock once and took a razor blade to the anthelia. Stuff still grew back I also removed some sort of sponge or something that had grown at the base of the leather. It brake off was was kind of crusty but it did not seem to help or hurt the leather.

I did frag the that leather too and the frag has shown polyp extension so that is a good sign. I wish I could remove the leather but it is secured pretty good.

Thanks again. I will keep waiting it out. I had a week or so where my zoos would not open either. I attrubuted it to a salinity change but not sure if that was the problem. My SPS's and my sea star seem to not be effected.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:21 AM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz
I actually removed the rock once and took a razor blade to the anthelia. Stuff still grew back I also removed some sort of sponge or something that had grown at the base of the leather. It brake off was was kind of crusty but it did not seem to help or hurt the leather.
This might sound a little cruel but the only way to prevent regrowth is to cover the area with something to smother it. Either some thinly spread Super glue gel or epoxy puddy over the area. Once removed from the water to do this (if the rock isn't to big), the sponge will most likely die as well from the O2 exposure. Just be sure you routinely clean the area where the sponge was incase of die off. You don't want that affecting the leather.

Quote:
I wish I could remove the leather but it is secured pretty good.
Not always the best idea when a coral is ailing. A significant shock to the coral from tearing it free can in rare circumstances further stress the coral to the brink. Always best to try eliminating/moving what around it first unless the sick coral is unattached and easily moved.

Quote:
I had a week or so where my zoos would not open either. I attrubuted it to a salinity change but not sure if that was the problem.
Unless it was a new addition, check occasionally after lights out to be sure there are no predaceous snail or nudibrancs. They can be hard to detect sometimes and will mainly attack soft coral species.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-19-2005, 11:09 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Most of my zoo colonies have since opened up but I have one only opening partially. I will do some night viewing to see whats up.

BTW, I have no problem snuffing anthelia out. I have fragged it so many times I have plenty growing in my other tanks. Maybe I will cut it back again and then use some of the epoxy I use to attach corals to cover it up.

Thanks Steve. Your always helpful.

Tags
eat, tips

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com