Let it live or put it down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

litebrite

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am faced with a difficult choice. My fish jumpped over the over flow on to a filter pad exposed to air, time unknown. The fish was still wet and moving. For the past week the fish has been laying on its side stiff unable to swim breathing hard. Nothing has changed.

I've removed the fish to a small quarantine where I have been feeding it by a tube, placing food in front of its mouth. It can't move to get the food, but it can suck it in if I place it close enough. So it eats. This is really really sad.

The choice I am faced with is, do I wait another week, put it down, let it live in this condition. I don't know if it is suffering or just almost brain dead. Eating might be an automatic reaction. It's eyes don't move either. OMG this makes me want to cry.

I think that I would personally give it a bit more time ( a few days) but if no improvment is noted I would euthanize him , and place in the freezer over nite ... It is sad but sometimes a decision that has to be made , it was nothing you did wrong either way ... What kind of fish is it ? Also try to cover up your over flow with some kind of plastic sewing canvas to prevent this from happening agin in the future . :(

It was a Canary Wrasse. Never wanted to hide. Just graduated from guarantine. I had eggcrate covering the over flow. It hit it just right at an angle and went through the square. In years I never had a fish jump through it. I guess I will have to cover the squares with a tigher mesh. Not only did it have to jump out of the water over the barrier but through the eggcrate holes. :( I guess these things can happen.

Awww yes they can and they make you feel horroble . But believe me you are not . It feels worse when you really like or are attached to your fish... Try the sewing canvas it is very tight squares and costs about 99 cents for a 9x11 inch sheet and comes in colors ranging from clear to black to anything you can think of

I agree with Sadielynn. The sewing canvas is a good idea. And very cheap also.

I have the plastic material you are describing. I am attaching it under the eggcrate with tiny strap ties. :)

How is the fishie today ?
That stuff is amazing in the salt water /aquarium world . It has so many uses that it is great ! I have even used little squares to attach PH to prevent my seahorse from getting eatin by the monster :)

Not so good for the fish. Stopped eating other wise unchanged. The plastic is very versatile.

This morning the fish gave in and nature took its own course. I'll miss it. :( It was a fighter.

Sorry to hear that but you gave it your all and she gave it her all :(

Back
Top Bottom