lfs with ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashobson

Aquarium Advice Regular
I went to 6 lfs and all have ich. is it ich season? The local petco always has had ich I asked the manger why they dont do something to red it but he looked at me like I was a nut. But I did find a good deal on a 75 gal tank for $75 they have 29 55 and 75 gal tanks a buck a gal. I did not have my truck so I might go back up wensday evening and get the 75 I really want a 90 but at that price would I lose much with the 75 gal would 15 gal make that much deference. I have a guy that wants my 54gal. So I want to buy a biger tank build a stand and move the contents of the 54 to the bigger tank.

Not sure... I went to a few here in CA and they weren't covered with ich. May be your area? :?

BTW... what city and state does that Petco have the sale? I'd love to pick up a 75 here for $75!!! :D

The local petco always has had ich I asked the manger why they dont do something to red it but he looked at me like I was a nut.
They turn the fish over so quickly, they simply don't care.
I would shop around for another LFS.
All of the LFS's get fish with parasites, its how they handle it that matters.

I went to 4 pet stores in my area all have ick. It was not petco that have this sale it is uncle bills in indy that have the sale usually there fish look great but even theres have ich the pet warehouse has great fish and they had ick. the store animal world had it as well they must all have the same supplier. I will make a trip to premium aquatics saturday and see what they have.

Maybe they're all running at slightly higher than normal temps with the heat this week and that's causing the fish to be symptomatic? Another thought is that the turnover in the summer might be less and so the fish are in their system longer and therefore exposed longer and therefore more of them are symptomatic?

She's right, in the summer the fish get more stressed with transport, and end up with Ich. My roommate works at the LFS, and has been complaining about the shipments.

Went back in a couple of the store today. I just moved my 54 gal corer tanks contents into my new 75 gal tank. The 54 gal conner tank did not have a corner to sit in and look out of place and I always wanted a large tank. Anyway I needed some stuff for the move suprising there fish looked better. But I still would not want any of them. I did not make up to premun aquatics yet I was busy building my stand. One of the pet shop owners went as far as to tell me they were beauty spots to make them look better. I think he would have sold me that ich if he could have.

I have some of that in a bottle... you can add it to your tank and have beautiful spotted fish in no time... Only 25$/bottle. You in? That sure would take some sales job, eh? I think some of the LFS owners/workers would go that far, if they could get away with it.

Most LFS have all tanks on a single loop to allow for a single point of interaction for filtering -- but also allows disease to spread to every single tank.

One LFS here, has every tank on gradually increasing filtration tank-to-tank. He moves fish to more stable tanks the longer and more healthy they've been at the store. You see all the new fish in the new tank and the healthier -- generally not as exotic stuff in the latter tanks. And some of the super exotics in the cleanest tanks... two reef tanks and a curing tank. I think one tank has aggressive fish and ich. The rest are clean.

...every other LFS has ich in almost every tank :( high turn-over rate, constantly incoming new additions -- its really hard to avoid if you think about it.

Back
Top Bottom