Lies my LFS told me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leafyseadragon

Aquarium Advice Freak
I ordered a fish from the LFS a long time ago, and it still hasn't come in yet. When I paid them a visit today and asked them what the delay was, I was told that it might be because the fish was not "in season." I was also told that some fish are only available in the summer, and if you want one "out of season," you just have to wait.

How much truth is there in what they told me?

yeah, you can run into these issues with uncommon fish.Most fish come from breeders though

Sounds like BS to me. One on my LFS just got 2 in. But then again..It could be their supplier..

seasons...

Yes, it usually has to do with the suppliers... I went to this one store the other week and they keep a pretty good stock... I asked if they had any khuli loaches because I really wanted one to replace the one that just died recently... they didn't have any and she said they were hard for her to get certain times of year. I don't understand it... I think part of it is that the suppliers push certain things different times of year... and sometimes things are just out of stock... I don't think it should happen but it does. At least that's what the suppliers tell the stores, they could be lying but who knows...
How long have you been waiting for it? Did you pay for it already? If it really has been quite a while I would probably find out what day they place their orders and call them the day before it every single week just to remind them, or just ask them if they ask about it every week... Every month most stores get a new list... sometimes things don't show up on the lists so they might not ask for them, but that doesn't mean the supplier doesn't have them... If it really becomes a hassle I'd check somewhere else...

My LFS lets me look at their order list every week so I know what is and what isn't available from that particular vendor. Maybe yours would do the same. I know for a fact there were no Hawk's on last weeks list.

If they do I recommend not paying any attention to the prices. Remember the LFS isn't in business because it's fun, they are trying to make money. Since they are in the business to make money I have no idea why they wouldnt want to sell you a fish. I'm sure that whoever they purchase their fish from doesnt have any of what you want.

Fish are seasonal, I've been waiting for a Blue spotted ray for two months. It has alot to do with weather in parts of the world (you cant collect fish during a typhoon) it also has to do with migration, breeding cycles, governemnet restrictions on collects and/or imports and lots of other things that I'm not smart enough to figure out. Very few SWF are captive bred.

millipede: I've been waiting since January, but I haven't paid for it yet. That's about the only good thing I can say.

I also checked with the other LFS. They have had them before, but of course now that I want one, they don't have any.

:(

to begin with, i manage the fish department of our local pet store, and place the fish orders every week with seagrest fish supply co. and i know firsthand that many fish are only available on a seasonal basis. usually these are fish that are very rare- purple tangs and queen angels. however, the longnose hawkfish should not be one of them- they are popular fish and most companies are able to keep them in stock. if i were you i would take my business elsewhere. there is no way that the longnose wasnt avaliable for three weeks. or you can just have my longnose hawkfish, he has an insatiable appatite for peppermint shrimp...

Longnose hawk are very difficult to find in LFS, I just saw once at my LFS and just one of them only (from last year till now). It was in the tank for a very long period, no one bought it, but was sold eventually.

Just a note to Nitrate, you can get a Blue spotted ray right now at liveaquaria.com. Also im sure you could find any fish you are looking for on the internet somewhere. :wink:

I cant seem to make myself buy livestock online. My LFS will order and hold fish for me till they eat and are reduced in stress enough that i can feel comfortable taking them home. They have also agreed to house a blue spot for me till it is eating frozen and disease free, which reduces my risk of my killing the poor creature by about 90%.

I'm lucky in that I like and trust my LFS and have gotten to be close friends with the owner. Anyone in Central Texas should pay Bridgemans Aqualife a visit.

Back
Top Bottom