Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2004, 03:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lies my LFS told me?

I ordered a fish from the LFS a long time ago, and it still hasn't come in yet. When I paid them a visit today and asked them what the delay was, I was told that it might be because the fish was not "in season." I was also told that some fish are only available in the summer, and if you want one "out of season," you just have to wait.

How much truth is there in what they told me?

Old 03-06-2004, 03:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What type of fish are you waiting on?

Old 03-06-2004, 03:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to BONESTOCK
Could very well be true.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah, you can run into these issues with uncommon fish.Most fish come from breeders though
Old 03-06-2004, 02:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was looking for a longnose hawk.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:52 PM   #6

Sounds like BS to me. One on my LFS just got 2 in. But then again..It could be their supplier..
Old 03-06-2004, 04:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

seasons...

Yes, it usually has to do with the suppliers... I went to this one store the other week and they keep a pretty good stock... I asked if they had any khuli loaches because I really wanted one to replace the one that just died recently... they didn't have any and she said they were hard for her to get certain times of year. I don't understand it... I think part of it is that the suppliers push certain things different times of year... and sometimes things are just out of stock... I don't think it should happen but it does. At least that's what the suppliers tell the stores, they could be lying but who knows...
How long have you been waiting for it? Did you pay for it already? If it really has been quite a while I would probably find out what day they place their orders and call them the day before it every single week just to remind them, or just ask them if they ask about it every week... Every month most stores get a new list... sometimes things don't show up on the lists so they might not ask for them, but that doesn't mean the supplier doesn't have them... If it really becomes a hassle I'd check somewhere else...
Old 03-06-2004, 04:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
My LFS lets me look at their order list every week so I know what is and what isn't available from that particular vendor. Maybe yours would do the same. I know for a fact there were no Hawk's on last weeks list.

If they do I recommend not paying any attention to the prices. Remember the LFS isn't in business because it's fun, they are trying to make money. Since they are in the business to make money I have no idea why they wouldnt want to sell you a fish. I'm sure that whoever they purchase their fish from doesnt have any of what you want.

Fish are seasonal, I've been waiting for a Blue spotted ray for two months. It has alot to do with weather in parts of the world (you cant collect fish during a typhoon) it also has to do with migration, breeding cycles, governemnet restrictions on collects and/or imports and lots of other things that I'm not smart enough to figure out. Very few SWF are captive bred.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

millipede: I've been waiting since January, but I haven't paid for it yet. That's about the only good thing I can say.

I also checked with the other LFS. They have had them before, but of course now that I want one, they don't have any.

Old 03-06-2004, 09:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
to begin with, i manage the fish department of our local pet store, and place the fish orders every week with seagrest fish supply co. and i know firsthand that many fish are only available on a seasonal basis. usually these are fish that are very rare- purple tangs and queen angels. however, the longnose hawkfish should not be one of them- they are popular fish and most companies are able to keep them in stock. if i were you i would take my business elsewhere. there is no way that the longnose wasnt avaliable for three weeks. or you can just have my longnose hawkfish, he has an insatiable appatite for peppermint shrimp...

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com