Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigguy6121

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys I am having problems with the green hair algae in my tank. It's everywhere and still growing. Someone told me to cut back on the lighting. I have a metal halaid light with the antic blue one too. My question is how long should the each light be on for? My tanks is in a room the get sunlight in it but not directly on the tank. I also have a few corals in there as well. I want to cut back on the light to kill the algae but I dont want my corals to die too.

Nusiance algae needs 3 things to live: water, light and food (excessive nutrients). You can't eliminate the water, the corals need the light, so you must remove the excess nutrients.
What is your nitrate level?
Have you tested for phosphate?
Do you run carbon and if so what brand and how often do you change it?
How often do you do water changes and what kind of water (tap, well, RO/DI, etc) do you use?

I have a few fish in there. I do have a carbon filter I change it about once a month. I use RO/DI water. I don't know my phosphate level cause my test kit didn't come with that test. and my Nitrate level is zero. I'm doing 10 gallon water changes once a month.

What size tank is this and what do you use for filtration?
I'm not sure what you mean by "carbon filter", but you should be using 1/2 cup carbon/50g water and change that every month.

how often do you feed the fish and how much?.cut lights down to around 5 hours/day,feed once every 2-3 days and keep doing min of 20% water changes/week.

i wouldn't cut the lights down at all. it's not going to cure the problem, which is excess nutrients.
weekly water changes is your best defense. it's going to take time. it's not an overnight fix. i would manually remove whatever you can and start on a weekly water change regimen.

Alright thanks. Water changes I can do. I have a 55 gallon tank. So how much should I be changing weekly? I only feed my fish once every 2 to 3 days for the most part. I have a Bio Wheel sump with the 3 trays in it so I get the filter pads and cut them to fit and change those every month.

Thanks

how long has your tank been setup? it does'nt sound like you have nutreint problems, but you should check your phosphate level. it sounds like you you don't have any snails and reef crabs in it, if you do how many of each? you said you had 2 corals in your tank. I guess the rest of the tank is bare reef (live rock)? the biggest problem with having enought light to grow coral and only having very little of the live rock covered by corals and not having enought algae eating critters to consume the algae, the algae will take over the tank. your lighting should be on for 10 to 16 hours in your case i would go on the low side until you add some more corals hope this helps if you have any questions pm me

fishman

I set my tank up on May first 2010. I have like 5 snails 3 emerald crabs and like 15 little blue hermit crabs. as for corals I have a few mushroom a candy cane coral and one I cant remember the name of. I have like 75lbs of rock in my system right now. I have another question now I bought my light used and I was reading somewhere else that you should change the lights every 9 month to a year. I don;t know how old my bulbs are. Do you think I should change them? And will old bulbs cause this algae to grow? I'm going to assume that old bulb are also bad for my corals. Right?

Thnaks

...I don;t know how old my bulbs are. Do you think I should change them? And will old bulbs cause this algae to grow? I'm going to assume that old bulb are also bad for my corals. Right?

Yup... on all questions!

If you don't know the age of the bulbs, that's a good first step. You need to do it for the corals anyway, and it might shift the light spectrum back to where it doesn't encourage the algae.

phosphates are nutrients.
snails and crabs won't cure this problem.
saltwatertogo's statement is absurd in so many ways.

I agree with checking your Phosphates as well as getting some other readings. Test your water and see where your nitrates are as well. If you are having algae problems there is something fueling it. Mr. X is correct, PWCs is the way to go. Before you do your weekly (which I agree with until the problem is under contorl) PWC pull out as much of the algae as you can. Carbon on the system is what ever, if it is working for you fine. Rinse filter pads out with old salt water when you do your PWCs and that will help as well. Not sure how your system is set up....

Thanks. I'm making water as we speak to do a PWC. I'm gonna take my water to the local pet store to get some test done on it. I only have the basic salt water testing kit. I prob. should by a coral water test kit at some point too. Was the advice on the bulbs good? I was also thinking about maybe changing the DI cartridge in my water filter?

good you do have algae eating critters, your tank is pretty new to have a phosphate problem. not to say you don't, good your getting a test kit. A good hydrometer ( refractometer ) to. If you don't already have one. PWC's can't hurt they will lower your nutrient level. what type of food do you feed your fish and do you feed your corals.? what? and how often. Is there alot of detris on the bottom or behind your live rock.? and yes something has to be fueling it

Let`s remember folks that everyone has the right to post their opinion whether we agree or not. I had to delete some posts because they were not helpful to the OP. Let`s focus on helping the OP out. Thanks for understanding.

Back
Top Bottom