Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2004, 08:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

lighting ?

im picking up a new 125 gallon tank on monday yippee so will need more lights :-(

now ive seen this a few times already and wonder what are the advanages to lighting a 6' tank with a 400 watt in the middle ans 2 250 watts on the ends? are there any or is it just a preference?

Old 11-13-2004, 09:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I believe it has to do with metal halides only having a certain span of it's light. If you only had the 400 watt in the middle it would be inredibly bright with the sides of the tank being dimmer. Boy I wish I could have a setup like that!

Old 11-13-2004, 09:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Form what I have read, you will get much better light distabution from hanging two 250 watt lights. Less shadows you do not have to hang a single light over the center brace of your tank. Plus, you get 100 extra watts going with two 250s instead of one 400.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

no what i meant is they run all three lights! id figure id run 3 250 watts ! but this is the third time i seen someone run 1 400 watt in the middle and 2 250 along the side ! was kinda confused
Old 11-13-2004, 09:52 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I suppose it could be argued that the 400 will give you higher intensity for the corals that really love light while the ones that don't need such intense light could go on either end under the 250's. If we were talking about a deep tank, I might go along with that to a degree. In a 125 though, I believe you will have more than enough light with a 3x250. You will also have good coverage with three bulbs over the 6' tank. JMHO.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

hummm makes sense ! this guy had mostly all softies so go figure huh ?
Old 11-13-2004, 10:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry, I was confussed to. I would still go with 3 250s. so where have you been lately?
Old 11-13-2004, 10:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

kinda tired so wasnt to clear sorry
ive been so busy the past month ! im in the junk mail bussiness so from now till after xmas it real busy (so stop ordering mags lolool j/k my bread and butter )! pluss i have a 6 month old kid that keeps me going and is teething :-/ ! then to top it all off i had to redo this pc from scratch but all good now !
Old 11-13-2004, 10:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

opps hit sent to soon !
i also was getting real discouraged with all the losses i have had the past year ! makes me soo sick i almost gave away all my fish and was gonna just wait till i moved again to start it up again! and due to all the power issues around here ya never know whats gonna happen ! but have a generator on call anytime thank god !
BUT I CANT DO IT LOLOLL
ive had fish for sooo many years its just part of me i think ! i have to stay positive

do you find your self driving in a unknow place looking at every shopping center for a pet shop ?? i do and why i cant quit
Old 11-14-2004, 08:52 PM   #10

Alot of people run a 400 watt 20K in the middle and 250 10K's on the ends. Reason is that a 20K gives off less PAR than a 10K so the extra wattage makes up for it.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com