Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Limp Toadstool

I just purchased a toadstool leather from the LFS on Friday. I had a lot of difficulty attaching the coral to the rockwork. I first tried wedging it in between some rocks and then had to resort to glueing it down. Unfortunately, the bottom of the toadstool is jagged with no flat surface to glue down. I would glue it and then an hour later it was on it's side.

It's been 2-3 days that it's been in its final position but it hasn't opened up its polyps. I know these sarcophyton corals have a shedding period after they've been irritated. I'm just curious if that's what's going on with mine. It's been completely limp the past 2 days with what looks like a "coating of white dust" on it. I've turkey basted it a few times and it blows off some of this material but not all of it.

Any thoughts? By the way, when I first got the coral and attached it down it did have open polyps (healthy at purchase).

Other corals in the tank are a Christmas Tree Coral, Galaxy coral, Torch Coral, and Colt Coral. All are doing well.

Thanks

Old 03-23-2006, 08:30 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It`s called sloughing. Give it a few days.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have had mine for a month now and within a week or so it would stand normal in the day and soon as the lights went off it would slump. Just within the last week has it been standing 24/7. I was worried as well but was reassured by many that it was normal. HTH.
LIVESTOCK:
4 false clowns, 2 firefish, cardinal, midas blennie, toadstool, zoos, shrooms, trumpet coral, torch, pagoda, frogspawn, poylps, red open brain, devils hand, hermits, snails, 3 cleaner shrimp, coral banded and a emerald crab.
canyon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

It actually looks worse today. Completely limp on the rock with no polyp extension. It has probably been in this position for 4 days now. How many more days of this before I start to worry?

Also, my colt coral started to look wierd yesterday. The polyps didn't extend and it deflated earlier than usual. I've never seen it like this before. Today it's inflated but the polyps aren't fully out. Is this because of the toadstool?
Old 03-25-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If you are having multiple problems I would do water checks and do several PWC.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

4 days is not that long of a period for a fresh frag. There hardy corals but will die during this process. I just lost a sinularia that was shipped to me not attached and after I attached the coral it only lasted a day.... Melted and was gone in 3 days. Test water and Do a small water change. Can you take the coral out? if you can smell it, if it reaks then its on its way out.... its possible is was stressed too much. The leathers will smell but I have had some dying one really smell....

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

UPDATE:

So the toadstool looks like it is beginning to recover. It's still shedding from the capitulum but it is starting to standup and reform itself. But here's the new problem. I noticed that the base of the toadstool looks like it is tearing. It was like this when I bought it but I didn't think anything of it. Now I'm wondering what I should about it. I think the tear may not be allowing it stand straight up.

You can see from the pictures that I've used a rocks on the left and right sides to keep the coral secured. There's even a little mushroom coral attached to the base (dark brown on the bottom left coral base). The coral is leaning on the left rock. Ideally, I would like to have it standing straight up. Any ideas? I'm hesitant to touch the coral now since it's just recovering but would appreciate any advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cimg5670_533.jpg (149.3 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg cimg5668_187.jpg (147.8 KB, 99 views)
Old 03-28-2006, 04:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

More tearing

I checked on it this morning and the tear has gotten larger. It's now half way across the body horizontally. I guess it must have tried to stand up last night and made things worse.

The coral is still sloughing. Do I do something about this or just leave it?

here's a Pic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cimg5674_117.jpg (178.4 KB, 67 views)
Old 03-28-2006, 07:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

A few things come to mind:

1) What are your water param's? You said your colt's also having problems, maybe it's time to test to play it safe. What do you usally keep your SG at?

2) How did you acclimate it? Drip or temp only? Maybe you're water quality shocked it, I can't say for certain cause I dont know your water params. Lightwise, did you give it 3 hours with the lights off to adjust? Otherwise, I'm guessing you have enough light penentration to keep it healthy with established corals already in your tank.

3) Are you constantly messing with it, like relocating and such? That could stress it bigtime. I know mine dislikes it evertime I put my hand in the tank. Perhaps the superglue didn't help either. I know it's used typically for frags, but for an estalished coral perhaps not. You also used the gel kind, right?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, the colt coral is doing well. I did a water change on the weekend and everything went back to normal. I think maybe the sloughing of the toadstool skin had irritated it. I don't have any concerns anymore about the tank parameters or chemistry. I did check them before the water change and Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate were all zero. But to answer your questions I drip acclimated it and temperature matched. I used gel crazy glue.

The toadstool is still sloughing skin but it is clearly recovering from it's previous condition. It has skin turgor and the capitulum has taken shape instead of being completley flat. The polyps are not out yet but I'm guess that's a matter of time.

Basically, I think the toadstool is healthy except for this laceration. The tear was present before I bought it but most likely due to water current and it trying to stand up, the tear has gotten bigger. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the issue at hand is how to deal with this tear. The options that come to mind are 1) Leave it alone 2) Make an incision along the tear line and reposition now. 3) Wait until the polyps are extended and it has fully recovered (no longer sloughing with polyps out) and then cut and reposition.

I hope I'm not missing anything. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

Tags
toad, tool

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com