1. How long have you had the fish? ~1 month
2. How long has the fish been in the tank? ~ 1 month What are the tank mates? 2 clarkii clowns, 1 long nose butterfly, 1 royal gramma, 1 coral branded shrimp, 1 arrow crab and an assortment of snails. Any aggression? It did eat my yellow tail damsel but when I saw it I think it may have already have passed away. He has been on dead food after the first week and I think that's why he ate a passed tank mate.
3. Is the fish eating? Yes. If so what does it eat? Krill
4. What are the water parameters? pH 7.8 ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate ~ 10, SPG 1.024? (actual numbers please: posting high, average or normal is not helpful) What saltwater test kit are you using? API saltwater master kit
5. Is the fish showing any physical signs of disease, grain of salt size spots, discoloration, ragged fins, misting or spots on the fins, cuts, cloudy eyes, etc? The fins are turning black I'm not sure if this is normal or if its sick.
6. Is the fish "flashing" (scratching or rubbing on rocks, decorations or substrate)? No
7. How is the fish acting? Is it swimming around, or just hovering in one spot or corner of the tank? It was just moping around and even just hanging out upside down the past 2 days. I turned my pwer head back on and it did resume normal activity.
8. Did you use quarantine? No, I am not sure if it is sick. If so for how long and did you have a need to treat for any ailments? Is it in qt now? Are you currently treating with any medication(s)?
9. Describe in detail how the fish was acclimated. Used drip acclimation for about an hour.
10. What size system? 55 gallon What type of filtration do you use? Marine land Emperor 400, reef octopus skimmer BH-1000, and a UV
sterilizer. Do you have any live rock or sand? Yes ~ 40 lbs of live rock and 3 bags (not sure how many lbs) of live sand.
11. Do you use any additives? None. Have you used any sort of meds in the main tank? None.
Just wondering if this is what happens to lion fish when they mature or if this is fin rot or something else.