Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Lionfish advice please!

Recently I bought a lionfish from petco online to find out they pluck these fish strait from the ocean mine is on his third day and his eyes are a bit cloudy and takes deep breathes but is moving around a little and perching on things....hes a dwarf zebra lion is this normal? Will he shed it out of his eyes? Should I set up a qt? Not sure if lions are safe with cooper....hmmm what to do!?

Old 09-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

What is your water quality like? Generally cloudy eyes are a sign of poor water quality but also in the lions case it can indicate they are about to shed parts of or all of their outer skins. How long did you acclimate him for? I would avoid copper treatment if you can as I don't think it will be necessary with a lionfish, they are extremely disease resistant. How much are you feeding him? I guess you will be feeding live, don't overfeed as they can die suddenly from that... The greedy fellas don't know when to stop!

Old 09-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Water is great I have a few other fish and some corals...i acclimated him drip but added some water every so often to speed it up..took about 1 hr...
Old 09-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

What should I try feeding him? I was gonna attempt to feed him some ghost shrimp later but not sure how he will respond...
Old 09-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Typically they are slow feeders so you may want to watch an persevere for a few mins. Ghost shrimp are a good start but two or three small ones will be enough for a day or two. It most likely sounds like he is just getting used to the tank, expect a shedding within a few days but don't worry if it doesnt happen, they are hardy little fellows, just watch his tank mates and keep an eye on his health.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lionfish are can be very hard to get to eat prepared food. My LFS has a lot of luck feeding them silversides with tweezers so they can monitor how much they eat. It is always a good idea to get them to eat asap since most fish are still caught using poisons that can effect them.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is it normal for him to take big breathes? There not fast like one every 3 or 4 seconds..
Old 09-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not once they are settled, joy13 is right they are caught using a toxin in the water. This usually takes a few days to work through their bodies, if after 7 days he was doing it there would be enough to concern me but this soon I would concentrate on feeding him. I assume oxygen levels are good?
Old 09-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I got a skimmer so I would think so..
Old 09-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lionfish exercise their jaws by opening their mouths very wide...you can try feeding him ghost shrimp or black moles... The sooner you get him on frozen the better ^^...I would suggest adding garlic guard to try to encourage him to eat frozen...

Tags
lionfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com