Lionfish advice please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erikmichael23

Aquarium Advice Regular
Recently I bought a lionfish from petco online to find out they pluck these fish strait from the ocean mine is on his third day and his eyes are a bit cloudy and takes deep breathes but is moving around a little and perching on things....hes a dwarf zebra lion is this normal? Will he shed it out of his eyes? Should I set up a qt? Not sure if lions are safe with cooper....hmmm what to do!?

What is your water quality like? Generally cloudy eyes are a sign of poor water quality but also in the lions case it can indicate they are about to shed parts of or all of their outer skins. How long did you acclimate him for? I would avoid copper treatment if you can as I don't think it will be necessary with a lionfish, they are extremely disease resistant. How much are you feeding him? I guess you will be feeding live, don't overfeed as they can die suddenly from that... The greedy fellas don't know when to stop!

Water is great I have a few other fish and some corals...i acclimated him drip but added some water every so often to speed it up..took about 1 hr...

What should I try feeding him? I was gonna attempt to feed him some ghost shrimp later but not sure how he will respond...

Typically they are slow feeders so you may want to watch an persevere for a few mins. Ghost shrimp are a good start but two or three small ones will be enough for a day or two. It most likely sounds like he is just getting used to the tank, expect a shedding within a few days but don't worry if it doesnt happen, they are hardy little fellows, just watch his tank mates and keep an eye on his health.

Lionfish are can be very hard to get to eat prepared food. My LFS has a lot of luck feeding them silversides with tweezers so they can monitor how much they eat. It is always a good idea to get them to eat asap since most fish are still caught using poisons that can effect them.

Is it normal for him to take big breathes? There not fast like one every 3 or 4 seconds..

Not once they are settled, joy13 is right they are caught using a toxin in the water. This usually takes a few days to work through their bodies, if after 7 days he was doing it there would be enough to concern me but this soon I would concentrate on feeding him. I assume oxygen levels are good?

Lionfish exercise their jaws by opening their mouths very wide...you can try feeding him ghost shrimp or black moles... The sooner you get him on frozen the better ^^...I would suggest adding garlic guard to try to encourage him to eat frozen...

I tried ghost shrimp lastnite and frozen silver sides today and no such luck....he still is staying in one spot pretty much...breathing a little quicker and still kinda pail....but im thinking he might be fine after awile just wish he would eat...

Black mollies can live in both fresh and saltwater. Generally you would slowly raise their salinity level over several weeks. Since you are trying to get the lionfish to eat them. I would either drip them for an hour or hold on to their tale with pinchers and bring the black Molly to the lionfish to eat. If he still refuses try again in a few days.

The zebra died but he was extremely stressed and wouldn't eat...i ordered him online from petco and they sent it to me after I canceled my order on a day I worked and they just left him in my apt office so he didn't start well...(dont order from petco) I ended up having the lfs order me in a radiata lionfish baby and he is doing awesome...already swimming around and eats 1 ghost shrimp every 3 days...hes a little guy but very beautiful...

My lionfish freddy

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111020_191640.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111020_191640.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 69
  • ForumRunner_20111020_191754.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111020_191754.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 64
Back
Top Bottom