Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-27-2006, 01:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to GatorDrew
Lionfish Disease... slime/shedding/mucus?

We have a 6" Lionfish in a 90G FOWLR tank.

During the last feeding, we noticed that the lionfish wasn't eating half as much as he used. He usually eats about 2-3 silversides, this time he only had one.

Today, we noticed that that there was a "slime" or "mucus" that's transparent and coming off of his pectoral fins. We first thought he was shedding, but after thinking about it (with him eating less) we became a bit more worried.

Besides him eating less, he seems like he's his normal self.

Any ideas what this could be? The other fish in the tank seem to be fine as well. Also, just two days ago I did a 20% water change... so that should be OK. Ammonia, Nitrates, and Nitrites are all fine.

Thanks for all your help! It's much appreciated!

Old 05-27-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
It's normal, my dwarf fuzzy lion does it too. I'm not really sure but I think they kind of "shed" they're old venom in the spines to make room for more "up to date" stuff lol.

I was always wondering the same thing, but about a year ago I noticed that everytime it would attack a piece of krill-this white slimy stuff shot out and would stick to everything. They do it a lot when growing too, when it had it's growth spurts my tank would have it EVERYWHERE. Now it does it like once a month or a little less.

Old 05-27-2006, 01:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to GatorDrew
Thanks! I was thinking that's what it was... just wanted to make sure. I appreciate the reply!
Old 05-27-2006, 01:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
Yup no problem! Lol, when it forst happened to me I was like what the heck?!?

Tags
disease, fish disease, lionfish, slime

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com