Lionfish Disease... slime/shedding/mucus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GatorDrew

Aquarium Advice Regular
We have a 6" Lionfish in a 90G FOWLR tank.

During the last feeding, we noticed that the lionfish wasn't eating half as much as he used. He usually eats about 2-3 silversides, this time he only had one.

Today, we noticed that that there was a "slime" or "mucus" that's transparent and coming off of his pectoral fins. We first thought he was shedding, but after thinking about it (with him eating less) we became a bit more worried.

Besides him eating less, he seems like he's his normal self.

Any ideas what this could be? The other fish in the tank seem to be fine as well. Also, just two days ago I did a 20% water change... so that should be OK. Ammonia, Nitrates, and Nitrites are all fine.

Thanks for all your help! It's much appreciated!

It's normal, my dwarf fuzzy lion does it too. I'm not really sure but I think they kind of "shed" they're old venom in the spines to make room for more "up to date" stuff lol.

I was always wondering the same thing, but about a year ago I noticed that everytime it would attack a piece of krill-this white slimy stuff shot out and would stick to everything. They do it a lot when growing too, when it had it's growth spurts my tank would have it EVERYWHERE. Now it does it like once a month or a little less.

Thanks! I was thinking that's what it was... just wanted to make sure. I appreciate the reply!

Back
Top Bottom