Lionfish not eating... or is he?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GatorDrew

Aquarium Advice Regular
Sorry for all the posts... it just seems like it's all coming at once.

I typically feed my Volitan Lionfish frozen silversides. He takes the fish and seemingly eats it. However, after looking at it further, it just sits in his mouth... he chews on it... but then he just spits it out. He repeats that over and over. For the past few feedings, he never really eats anything.

What would be causing this? Is it normal?

have you tried other foods? or live foods? maybe giving him some variety will help maybe even garlic?

Live foods are not recommended, especially after the Lionfish has already adjusted to frozen food. Try pieces of shrimp, krill or other seafood. He may just be getting tired of the silversides.

I'll try some krill later.

He is a picky eater though. He's always refused to eat the food thats in the form of the "cube" or the "block" of food. I finally got him to eat the silversides when I got them in the individually frozen... units. I usually cut a silverside in half or third... depending on size, and then put it in front of him.

I also have krill, as that's what I feed the puffer, and he never seemed too interested. I'll try putting it infront of him (with a feeding stick, of course :) )

Back
Top Bottom