Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
is back to save the day!

Little clown goby

So yeah.. got to see him eat at the LFS.. didn't notice he looked kind of skinny until i observed him in my tank. He seems pretty larthargic.. only chillin on the sand in the corners of my tank. Barely moves... ever and i just fed enriched mysis shrimp and he just sat there as pieces floated by him. So it's evident that something's wrong with him. I don't expect him to last much longer.. his stomach is pretty caved in. Wondering if there's anything i could do for him? Maybe some way to get him to eat?

Old 06-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Call the store and find out what they feed, then try feeding the same.
Do you have any garlic guard or similar. That does seem to invoke a feeding response. Try soaking some food in that (just use 2 drops) and then feeding.
I have some you can have when I see you tomorrow (yes, the new order came in so I have your red gracilla).

You did properly acclimate, right? Sorry, just have to ask.

Hoping it makes it.

Do you know how long it was at the lfs?

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
is back to save the day!

The store told me they feed the frozen enriched mysis shrimp just like the one i bought from them. And i saw him feed the clown gobies and they all ate. I don't have any of that garlic stuff.. so i'll take any offerings lol. Thanks cmor.

I used the drip acclimation, slowly, and did it for one hour. He didn't seem stressed out during the acclimation or anything.. And i also don't know how long he's been there.. but he looked to be the best one out of all the others.. that's why i took him. Yeah.. i hope he makes it too.. but i don't think he's long for this world.. unfortunately. I'll try that garlic stuff tomorrow and see if he eats.. hoping he does.

Oh and also.. just to make sure it wasn't my water, which it isn't.. i did a full test.

Ammonia : 0ppm
Nitrite : 0ppm
Nitrate : 0-5ppm
Phosphate : 0ppm
Salinity : 1.023
pH : 7.9

The salinity is a little lower than i want it to be.. but that's definitely not what's causing the problem. 1.023 is low.. but it isn't really THAT low. Also, i don't know why, but even on my last tank, my pH was this number. For some reason.. my pH has never been in the 8-8.4 range. Don't know why. I have my return pointing directly at the surface plus a powerhead pointing at the surface so there's no way i don't have sufficient surface agitation. Maybe it's the salt i use? I used Oceanic on my last tank and my pH on that tank was 7.8 or 7.9.

Anyways.. my snails and hermits are all doing fine and eating whatever they can.. including the mysis i just fed. Hermits eat funny lol. So i really don't think it's my water. I just wish my pH was where it is supposed to be. It's been at 7.9 ever since the end of my cycle and it hasn't moved at all. Same color everytime i test. So yeah.. i think the fish is just sick or something. :/
Old 06-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aw, too sad
Old 06-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

SG is fine for fish, but a bit low for inverts (lower end of the range anyway). Lower SG is actually good for fish.

What test kit are you using?
My pH monitor always read 7.7 - 8.0 while two liquid test kits always show 8.2. Aquarium Marine told me the monitor is correct and that liquid test kits have a high bias. That would mean your pH is actually lower.

That's not really a problem either though. Can you test your Alk?
Time to add Alk, Ca, and Mg to your test kits so you know where you may be off and/or why.

PM me with a time and place to meet tomorrow. Got a little extra for your fuge too. I only used half the pod mat from this order.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aw man, wish you were my friend and lived close
Old 06-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
is back to save the day!

Thanks cmor! You're so generous! I'll shoot you that PM right away.

As for the test kits.. i think i may have a couple tests for the ones you just mentioned.. just gotta check. And yeah i know about the SG.. i plan on raising it to 1.025 next PWC on sunday. As for the pH.. i honestly don't know what the problem is.. but maybe it will change over the next couple weeks.. i mean the tank has only been cycled since Wednesday.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hope he pulls through Kevin. BTW a stable pH in the 7.8-8.4 range is fine. As long as it is stable it won't harm you inhabitants. If it's going up down and all around then you have a problem.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #9
is back to save the day!

Yeah i figured as much. Thanks for the info Mitch. Also, little update, i actually saw him finally moving around and moving throughout the rockwork and perching on things. Almost looks a little better.. and i think he ate a little mysis shrimp because i saw him spitting some of it out. Who knows.. maybe he'll pull through..

We'll see..
Old 06-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

He was probably just acclimating to his surroundings. Hopefully he`ll be OK.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, goby

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com