little white dots.. what are they?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xahx

Aquarium Advice Freak
i just did a tank upgrade and i found little white dots appearing over walls, my heater, etc.. They were on the previous tank too... I took a picture not too clear, but i think you can make it out.

From what i have researched it seems to be the copepod eggs? im not sure at all, can someone help? TIA

BTW the picutre is of the suction cap of my heater

Attachments

• dsc00995.jpg
    dsc00995.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 137
How big is your tank and how much LR do you have? You need a very mature tank with over 100 lbs of LR to support a mandarin.

Mandarins a really hard to feed. My tank is a little over a year old and I still wouldn't buy one.

Do you really need over 100lbs of LR? 8O

i have about 60 lbs LR, and its a 60 gallon tank... live sand is there too, about 50 lbs

I don't know if you need 100lbs of live rock or not. I think the point is, you need a very large and mature system in order to sustain a large enough pod population for the mandarins to feed off of.

FWIW, what I see in the pic looks more like calcareous tube worms. Copepods usually don't hang out on heaters etc, especially while lights are on. But, you can usually see them scrambling around on the aquarium glass near the sand bed. Are they a spiral shape?

they are round, and seem to appear out of no where... Are theese tube worms a threat?

Look like paint splatter...

Most likely tiny calcareous feather dusters. Not a threat, but a sign of good water quality. Do you have any snails? Could be snail egg sacks but they never seem to amount to anything more than that. Pods are always crawling about like ants-there's no mistaking them.

so should i leave these? sometimes they appear over the front glass, which impairs my ability to see the tank clearly... Ive been trying to clean most of them off, but i guess i should keep the ones that arent in plain view

trying to clean most of them off, but i guess i should keep the ones that arent in plain view
Exactly, why not they are neat to look at and are filter feeders-so they can only help water quality.

Back
Top Bottom