Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2005, 10:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Live Rock in my new tank

I am setting up a 450g FO marine tank. I am going to put about 300 lbs of lr in the tank to start (mainly because of cost concerns). I know that putting lr in a new tank is easier than adding rock later.

Should I bite the bullet and spend more money initially in order to avoid having to add rock later?

While on the topic, any words of wisdom on how I go about adding lr to an already established tank.

Thanks,

---------------
Pete R.
New York

Old 01-12-2005, 10:46 AM   #2
steve-s

Re: Live Rock in my new tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterac
Should I bite the bullet and spend more money initially in order to avoid having to add rock later?
Augment the high cost of LR with dead/dry base rock. In a tank that size LR only will cost a fortune. You should be able to get a decent amount of dry base rock for less than $1.50/lb. A smaller portion of LR can be added to "seed" the base rock and you eventually end up with the same thing at less than ½ the price. You could easily use as much as 80% dry and 20% live. The ratio's up to you and your wallet

Quote:
While on the topic, any words of wisdom on how I go about adding lr to an already established tank.
Cure it seperately....
Curing Live Rock? I didn't even know it was sick!!

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-12-2005, 11:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it can be included in the budget, get all the lr you need in the beginning. This way you won't have to cure it later. It is much easier on you, and your fish.

Mike
Old 01-13-2005, 04:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
Agree with Salttanker because I went through the curing process with an oder later after my tank was uip for about 5 months what a pain in the @$$ that was...
Old 01-13-2005, 05:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
If it can be included in the budget, get all the lr you need in the beginning. This way you won't have to cure it later. It is much easier on you, and your fish.
Well I bit the bullet and went with 380 lbs. of live rock. Nice stuff. Loaded with tons of goodies. So right now I have 380 lbs. of lr in a 450g tank. Now it's waiting time.

I'll post some pix on my progress.

-----------------
Pete R.
Malverne, NY
Old 01-13-2005, 05:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pictures please!! I have never seen a tank that big...I could not even imagine!

WC

40 Gallon Breeder Salt Water: 4 inch DSB (2/3 Agaramax & 1/3 Sea Flor), Bak Pak 2R Skimmer w/ BBX, 2 x JBJ PHs, Coralife Lunar Aqualight (2x96w), 30lb Base Rock and 40lbs of Live Rock.
Inhabitants: Purple Firefish, Pygmy Angel, Lawmower Blenny, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp(HH), 1 Emerald Crabs, 3 Porcelin Crabs(HH), varying amounts and varieties of hermit and snails.

3 Gallon Eclipse:
1 Goldfish (won free at a fair...cost $50 in equipment)
WhiteCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:01 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Buy 200 lbs. of base and 200 lbs. of live. You will be set. Then if you want to add small amounts later, in a 400 gallon, it will be possible.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very cool Peterac! I would love to see that rock. I'll bet it's crawing with life on it. This makes me really want my 300G tank this year now!

Mike
Old 01-13-2005, 07:23 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

You could still add base rock now. With that amount ot LR it will become live in no time. hirocks.com or the CaribSea 50 pound box at thatfishplace.com can be had for less than $1.50 per pound.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 07:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the 380lb. order? I need to consider this for my 300G I am going to get this year. Thanks

Mike

Tags
live, live rock, rock, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com