long horn cow fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keitech

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased a long horn cow fish. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this fish.

Is this fish poisonous to other fish?

Does this fish sting you when contact? What is the symptom?

It's weird looking, but pretty exotic. Just wanted to know more about it.

Thanks,

Keitech, isn't your tank the 2 week old with the 13 damsels? How are the other fish doing? If the cowfish is going into that tank, you really might want to consider slowing down with the livestock . . .

Yes, cowfish are potentially poisonous to the whole tank, if stressed or threatened. (This from Marine Fishes, not from experience.) In a cycling tank the fish do get stressed . . .maybe think about returning him? They are awfully cute, I know--but It would be a tragedy to suffer a whole tank wipeout.

Not to sound harsh or anything but these are all questions you should research BEFORE purchasing a fish.

If you put the fish in your tank and it's cycling, it will die. It will most likely also kill your damsels, which shouldn't even be in the tank anyway!

I had a Cow one time and he and all the fish were doing fine for a long time. Then one day, there all dead, come to find out if the cow gets sick or for whatever reason poisons the tank and killed everything. Real bummer. Be careful I had to hand feed him, because he so slow at swimming.

Back
Top Bottom