Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

*bump
Anyone else have any thoughts?

Old 07-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
In your video, it looks like he is hiding. Does he ever swim normal? Have you tried soaking their frozen food in garlic guard?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
Thanx but no.....

Maybe try killing the lights for a day or so. BTW: sweet hosted-clown. Always a personal fav. Was lookin for that goby though
Old 07-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
In your video, it looks like he is hiding. Does he ever swim normal? Have you tried soaking their frozen food in garlic guard?
I just tried the garlic tonight, he did not seem interested.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Maybe try killing the lights for a day or so. BTW: sweet hosted-clown. Always a personal fav. Was lookin for that goby though
I will give that a shot, has it worked for you? Ha the clown is very cool large and nice color but he is an a**hole. He is tearing up my sweetlips. Leaves everyone else alone. Want him? haha
Old 07-15-2008, 10:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Think I found the problem with the butterfly, he has "pop eye".. Noticed it recently as it has gotten worse. Both eyes are noticable "popped"
Anyone had this issue and what did you do to resolve it?
90 gallon FOWLR 45gallong sump with Oceanic #6 skimmer. Iwaki return pump. Koralia 4 and two 300 gph powerheads.
kgriffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:39 AM   #17
Thanx but no.....

Popeye itself is typically either caused by some injury to the eye(s) or by some other disease in the tank and is not classified as a disease. If you can't identifyh the trauma then you should get him out and QT him and possibly treat for both possible fungus and bacteria infection.

I would venture a guess that he got bullied and injured himself but then it's not my tank and associated risk.

Be sure that's what it is though, both eyes is on one hand not that common (for injury) and the other a reason to believe that it may not be injury related. Make sure the eyes don't look like that from loss of weight.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't think it is from a loss of weight, he has been in the tank a week and hasn't seemed to eat but at the same time doesn't appear to have lost any weight.
90 gallon FOWLR 45gallong sump with Oceanic #6 skimmer. Iwaki return pump. Koralia 4 and two 300 gph powerheads.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:40 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

I would take it out and QT it for a few weeks. Keep water parameters pristine with constant (10% - 20% daily) pwc's in the cycled QT. Larger pwc's if the QT is not cycled. Reduce the salinity to 1.012 -1.015 in the QT tank over a couple of days.

The popeye should start to heal in about a week. If not, an anti-bacterial regimen would be inorder. You may want to do that anyway as both eyes being affected is not normally injury related as CaptaijnAhab already stated.

After the treatment get the SG back up slowly. I would then capture the sweetlips to go in the QT for a week while the butterlfy gets comfortable in the tank. Then you can add the sweetlips back and see how things go.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:24 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the input, I put him in qt tonite got the ammonia down as low as possible, put in a peice of live rock and a sponge from my display tank. The ammonia is not as low as I would have liked but I will do a 50% change before work tommorow. Getting him out was the right thing to do even if he doesnt make it in qt right? I was concerned for the other fish in the tank... anyway here are the levels as of 10:30 est..

1.025 gravity
8.2 ph
.25 ammonia
0 nitrite
0 nitrate

I hope he makes it through the night.

Tags
butterfly, fly, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com