Longnose Butterfly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My biggest concern is the ammonia. Poor guy hehe Wish the lfs told me about these guys before I got him, beatiful fish about 4.5" nice color (maybe caught with cyanide?) I was able to get a closer look when he was in the qt tank.. his eyes have some blood on the lower portion of them not on the center of the eye but the lower swollen portion of it.

Constant water changes are your friend right now (and the fishes). I keep a biowheel in my sump so when I need to set up my qt the biowheel is already coated with bacteria and I'm ready to go. You may want to consider something like that or a sponge filter.

Please keep us posted on your progress. QT was the right thing to do. We are all pulling for you.

Day two in quarantine and he is doing well, no progress with his pop eye but he is seeming ok, I ended up putting a piece of lr in the tank which has helped keep the ammonia way down. One odd thing I have realized is that when the lights are on he seems lethargic and kind of floats around on his side etc but when they are off he acts completely normal. Whats that about?

Most animals will have abnormal reactions to light, vibrations, and movements when health is sub par. You can treat with one of the following depending on availability if condition gets worse: Nitrofurazone, Minocycline (Maracyn 2), or Enrofloxacine (Baytril).

Are you reducing the SG? Keep up wth daily 20% pwc's. It could take a week - 10 days to really see improvement. Adding an antibacterial medication may help too, if that is the cause.

Back
Top Bottom