Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Longnose Butterfly

Yesterday I added a medium sized 4" long nose butterfly to my tank which is:
90 gallon and has the following fish... engineer goby, fire angel, sweetlips,yellow band clown, and a tang.

The butterfly seemed fine at first and as of this morning he seems lethargic and just staying under the live rock, sometimes vertical sometimes on his side. I am concerned, do you guys have any suggestions or is this not a problem?

Also I checked all of my levels and they are fine.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How did you acclimate the longnose to your tank?

Old 07-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Unfortunately I took the advise of a friend and just placed the bag containing the fish in the water for 15 minutes then put him in the tank. I did the same thing with my sweetlips that was added tho he seems fine. I am going to setup a quarantine tank this afternoon and put the longnose in it. Any advise? I treated the tank with stress coat this morning. Do you think placing him in the quarantine tank will help? I figured I could at least make sure he is eating.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

QT is always a good idea. The problem with just throwing them in the tank with only 15 mins of floating to acclimate to temps is that alot of times the lfs water is very different from our own. They keep thier salinity lower for one. Your fish could be stressed/in shock, due to an extreme change in salinity or ph or any number of other water differences. A slower acclimation, adding a bit of water to the floating bag over time is best. Or even doing a drip acclimation is better. I'm not really sure what to offer since he's already been moved other than to QT and keep a close eye on him. If your using new water in the QT, be sure to acclimate him well over to the new tank. Good luck as this fish is kinda picky anyway and sometimes hard to get eating prepared foods.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here are some articles that may help.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ion/Page1.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ish/Page1.html
Old 07-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for your input.
As far as the qt goes my plan was to use water from the current tank. Would that be best or I ran my ro unit last night and I could make some fresh salt water?
What do you feed your longnose? I have zookplanktin, krill and squid at home all frozen. Should I get some whole food for them? Copepods perhaps?

What about the sweetlips? Should I leave him be since he seems to be doing fine?
Old 07-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe a 50/50 mix of water would work. Keep water prepared for water changes as they will need to be done often in a new QT tank.
You said your levels are fine, does that mean 0's across the board?
It's always safer to QT new fish incase of disease but since the sweetlips is already in the tank and seems to be doing well, I don't see any reason to move him.
When feeding the butterfly, give him minced bits of marine fish and/or crustacean. It has a tiny mouth used for picking between rocks and corals so the food needs to be small enough for it to eat. A frozen butterfly food is available as well if you can find it and would be another option.
Here is an example. And this is a great brand if you can find it.
Aquarium Fish Foods: San Francisco Bay Brand Angel & Butterfly Diet
HTH
Old 07-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for your advice guys.
I have a video of the butterfly, maybe you guys could recognize what the fish is doing. It has been 5 days since I added him to the tank and his color is still great but he just seems to loaf around the tank preferring the corners. My levels are just fine and I did a 10% change last night.

http://www.griffithexteriors.com/butterfly.avi
Old 07-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Could it be that the new fish is just not comfortable in the new tank yet, and is hiding? I know many fish take a while to feel comfortable enough to swim freely in a new home.
CatatonicBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

That is what I am hoping, he does venture around a bit, I suppose it is the way he wafts around that concerns me. He also doesnt seem to be afraid of me at all while the other fish run when my hand is near he doesnt.

Tags
butterfly, fly, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com