Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2005, 10:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like Ich, but it is not?

I have 4 or 5 small spots on a Clown, it has been that way for a couple weeks now. The spots are around the face an mouth. The spots never seem to do anything, but it looks like Ich. Since the Trophonts stage of Ich is only 7 days, if this was Ich the spots should have moved by now. If it was Brooklynellosis my fish should have been dead by now? I tried dipping the fish in Formalin a few times with no luck so now I just feed food with added Kent Garlic Xtreme to boost the fishes immune system. The fish swims fine, I just let him do his thing. I have a Cleaner Shrimp but the Clown run like heck when the Shrimp tries to clean it. Any ideas?

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:34 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Sure its not velvet/oodinium? I think I rememebr mine had sugar coating type spots for about 2 weeks before I found out what it was.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:37 AM   #3
steve-s

Kinda looks like a calcium deposit under the skin, very smooth?

I can relate to what your talking about but I never was able to ID the cause. I had a Lunar wrasse with the same "pimply" complexion for about 3-4 years. It never seemed to get worse or better and no adverse health effects.

Can you post a pic?

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-25-2005, 12:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Sure its not velvet/oodinium? I think I rememebr mine had sugar coating type spots for about 2 weeks before I found out what it was.
Could be. The spots do not appear to have the sheen to them that velvet would normally have from my understanding.

Quote:
Kinda looks like a calcium deposit under the skin, very smooth?

I can relate to what your talking about but I never was able to ID the cause. I had a Lunar wrasse with the same "pimply" complexion for about 3-4 years. It never seemed to get worse or better and no adverse health effects.
It definitely looks like it is on the skin and not underneath the skin pushing out. Each spot is like a really big grain of sugar stuck right on the fish.

Quote:
Can you post a pic?
Working on it. The Clown is a tough character to photograph...

No idea is my garlic additive is doing anything, but the Clown is not getting any worse. The Royal Gramma has never shown any signs of the spots, got the fish on the same day as the Clown.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
Old 01-25-2005, 12:11 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Check the pec fins. If there is a dusting, you'll likely see it there too.

If velvet, it'll kill fast.

Good luck.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 01-25-2005, 12:16 PM   #6
steve-s

I have serious doubts about the velvet. If the fish has been displaying these symptoms for several weeks, it would be dead if velvet. It kills increadibley fast and fish typically don't have weeks to receive treatment.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-25-2005, 12:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fins are clean, so nothing out of the ordinary there. I should add that when I got the fish, it had no spots, but did have a few nipped fins. The spots came after the fish was in the tank for a day or two. The fins have since healed.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
Old 01-25-2005, 12:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i almost wonder if that is what my clown goby has. i am putting him and my other fish in QT today. finally gathered all the parts. my other fish shows no signs. they have been housed together for 3 weeks and the goby has shown signs for two weeks. he eats and swims normal. it looks like single bumps on the skin. slightly oblong and with a clear tan color. i guess i will now after a few weeks of copper if they go away.

steve r
Old 01-25-2005, 12:51 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Yep. If not on the fins, velvet is unlikely. But mine did have that dusting for about 2 weeks before they started dying.

Old 01-31-2005, 10:32 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

As of yesterday, it would appear that my Clown might be clean of noticable spots. There is some slight tissue damage where each spot was attached but I expect that to heal over soon. Not sure if it was the garlic I added to the food everyday, the Cleaner Shrimp, or maybe just leaving the fish alone. Either way, I am going to keep adding garlic to the food for another month. Hopefully the spots do not come back.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com