Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Looks like powder on fish...

I have a question about something on my clown Trigger fish. I know that ich looks like small pen sized dots on the fins and gills but this looks like baby powder on him. I have had him for about a month and he has been fine. I did not quarintine him because I am new and did not realize that was standard procedure (just finished setting up QT tank tonight). Any idea what it may be?

Old 11-24-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it's a white to gold colored dust it might be this:Marine Velvet Disease

Old 11-24-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

That is a fast acting disease I believe. I think this trigger has had signs for about 4 days and he is the only one. Would marine velvet work faster than that? I also have a damsel that is mainly white his white area has darkened. I apoligize for the bad description, I don't see color that well and I haven't asked the family for a good color description. The trigger is eating a lot (as usual) but may have been doing some scraping against the rocks, not sure.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Coral Reef or Velvet Disease, Amyloodiniumiasis, A Virulent Dinoflagellate Disease of Saltwater Fishes

Marine Velvet/Amyloodinium ocellatum: A Discussion of this Disease and its Available Treatment Options - Reefkeeping.com

Some more links on it.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

...and it kills fast too.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Trigger is in the QT tank being treated. I noticed this 3-4 days ago. He has still been eating. If it was marine velvet, would he still be alive? I thought it killed faster than that?
Old 11-26-2009, 01:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

My blue tang always gets like a white powder on him. But its only just sand. Its gone within 1-2 hours after i see him.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

If the fish develop marine velvet in the main display tank then I assume all fish are at risk. What is standard procedure to rid main tank of marine velvet? Does it have to set fish free for awhile and how long? Does it need torn down? Thanks!!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Look at the fins nearest the gills. Can you see specks on them? Ick starts on the skin and spreads to the gills. Velvet starts in the gills and spreads. That's why it kills faster since it starts in the gills where it isn't evident for a while.

When I had velvet some 7 years ago in my then new tank, it killed about 9 fish inside of 2 weeks. The fish that lived was goby, a mandarin, and some chromis I think. Been so long. I did add soome velvelt treatment that made the water turn yellowish for a day or so. The coral, inverts, and remaining fish lived. I can't remember the solution though! Besides, I got lucky I think. I added fish a lot more slowly after that and maintaind my water quality a lot better.

I was new, excited, and adding stuff every 3-5 days. Phosphates and salinity was all over the place. Fish were VERY stressed. Did you do anything similar?????

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powder

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com