Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #11
is back to save the day!

Kurt is definitely right. Considering you've only just begun and you're having a serious problem such as ich, i would strongly advise in starting over from scratch. It would be in your best interest to do so. Also, on the seachem product.. return it and tell your LFS person that he is a crook. There is no chemical that will help your tank "mature" faster. It's not possible. The only way for your tank to mature, is with age, and on its own.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:07 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Please return the anemones. They will die in your tank. You have been getting some good advice. Let me be pass on the BEST advice I ever received here when I was fist starting my sw tank.
"NOTHING GOOD EVER HAPPENS FAST IN A SW TANK"

Slow Down. Read the artilcles that Mike (melosu68) linked for you. Read the article on fishless cycling. Then properly cycle your tank.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:32 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thanks guys will do...... hopefully be back in a few months with some good news
Old 03-03-2010, 12:42 AM   #14
is back to save the day!

If you take your time, and research these things before buying, there's no doubt in my mind that you will begin to see fantastic results. All it takes is a little patients, some great information, a little help(AA), and you will be on your way to having a great saltwater aquarium.

Good luck and don't forget to check back with us!
Old 03-03-2010, 01:22 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerman View Post
thanks guys will do...... hopefully be back in a few months with some good news
Don't go away... stay - read - ask questions!

I lurked on this site for 3 months, reading everything I could, before I even bought a single piece of equipment. While there may be a lot of conflicting info here - since everyone has different opinions - if you read enough posts you'll start to see a pattern of advice and also a pattern of mistakes that make it easier to understand what YOU want to do with your tank.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Great advice Kurt!
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Since you are trying a reef tank, you need something to control any possible parrasites that you can crop up from fish. I wouldn't break down the tank and start over because what you might have been seeing is stress ick. That does not mean your tank has problems, but the fish were in shock because the tank did not cycle.

Get yourself a UV light that should kill most anything that can pop up. Since you are trying a reef tank, you need can't treat with normal medication. Your trank is trying to cycle and doing water changes won't help. It needs to establish a base before you can start adding fish again.

I have been doing this for almost 30 years and I am old school. Get yourself some damsels and let them ride. If they die, they die. Leave them in there and watch the ammonia level. When it goes down to zero, add some hardy fish that you want...... one at a time.

Also, find yourself a new pet store. Anyone that sells puffers to a person whose tank is less than a month old is not helping you.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

A UV light won't kill ick in the tank. It only treats water that passes thru it. I wouldn't recommend a UV light as a cure all for things that "pop up" in a tank.

I know old school approaches to a lot of things I do work best for me, but I will listen to the new school and decide when their way is better...which leads me to the discussion about cycling a tank with another ammonia source other than killing or seriously stressing live fish. Raw shrimp works just fine to cycle a tank and does not harm the critters.

Also, gotta wait for the ammonia AND nitrite to get to zero to add fish.

Rollerman - stay in touch sooner rather than later.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

"Stress ick." Ich is ich, regardless of how it presented itself, correct?

Agree that the fish *may* have been able to fight off the ich if the tank had been cycled, but that doesn't mean the ich still wouldn't be there. And now it IS there... waiting for the next fish. Since the anemones are doomed in this tank since it hasn't cycled, that's why I suggested taking them out and starting over. With nothing alive in the tank, and no bacteria to kill off in the first place, there's no reason NOT to break down the tank and rid yourself of the ich the easy way. Then, cycle the tank and add fish - AFTER an appropriate quarantine period. Best way to keep parasites out of the display it to not let them in to start with.

Only thing you need to cycle a tank is an ammonia source. The bacteria don't care if the ammonia is from live fish waste, or something dead and rotting - so why subject something alive to the cesspool of a cycling tank if you don't have to? Will damsels work? Sure. Will a raw shrimp work? Sure. Even Fenner has changed his tune when it comes to cycling with live fish.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:29 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Newbie

wow this site rocks

thks for all the replies......just an update my amonia was thru the roof, made adjustments and all is going well, forgot to mention about my tank setup, but i have 3 inches on live sand/crushed coral, will that help it cycler faster? if not oh well i'll just keep watching and maybe soon be looking at some fish.

once again ty to all that helped, I'll be sure to hang around and read, read, read, read, read somemore.

Roller

Tags
crab, crabs, inverts

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com