Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Losing 4th clown

I have lost 3 clowns since starting my aquarium idk, 3 mo ago. They all got something that affected the skin from the top of the head to the dorsal fin. Lfs told me to do a dip in whatever green/blue stuff she dips her fish in. She thought it was some kind of fungus. There was no mucus around the gills so not thinking brooklynella. Anyway, all 3 clowns died the day after the dip. I followed lfs directions to the T. So at 1st sign of my last clown getting this I dipped him and he is acting funny this morning. This is a mystery to me b/c all other fish a perfectly healthy! It's a clownfish killing epidemic. I am now qting all my new purchases which I wish I would've done from the start and this may have been prevented , but you live and you learn. I'm super bummed about losing all these beautiful fish. Any thoughts on why this attacked all my clowns? And thoughts on clowns in this tank in the future? Strangely I have had 2 snails die in this tank as well. Something's fishy. No pun intended. My yellow angel, sand sifting goby, and yellow/ blue damsel are perfect so far(knock on wood). And I have a 6lined wrasse I bought in my qt for 4 weeks doing well. My dt is a 60 gal hex. Parameters are 0 amm, 0 nitrites, and minimal nitrates. Salinity is 1.023. Any idea what this clownfish plague might be and what the future outlook for clowns is?

Old 08-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

This must be a stumper for everyone. No comments.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to KSum89
Souds similar to what my wild caught perc clown had, im not exactly sure if it is though.. Without pics cant be too sure.

But what i did was just net my fish and let him swim around in a small bucket of fresh ro/di water or lay in it (she laid in it the first time, the disease was causing rapid breathing) for a couple of mins then net it back into the aquarium. I did it for about 2-3 days and it is still living today with no issues.

I thought i was about to lose her back then
Old 08-02-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Did they have white spots? Were they breathing rapidly? Im thinking ick. It seems like the dip was killing them though.

-Mark Twain
bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah all of the above. Idky the dip killed them.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
I actually lost 4 pairs of clowns when I first started. I let the tank go without clowns for 6 months and then introduced new ones and have had no issues since. There are problems associated only with clowns such as the black dots. Something to consider. If you are planning on adding other livestock why not do that and just wait to keep the aggressive clowns until last.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just to add- I had other fish in the tank- including tangs, that were all doing great.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Isnt it odd that my snails died? Wouldn't that indicate somethings wrong? Snails are indistructable, so I thought. Im afraid to add anything to the tank and also that my last 3 fish are doomed.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp3322
Isnt it odd that my snails died? Wouldn't that indicate somethings wrong? Snails are indistructable, so I thought. Im afraid to add anything to the tank and also that my last 3 fish are doomed.
Water parameters?
Old 08-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp3322 View Post
Yeah the only thing I can think of is your salinity is low. What do you measure it with?

-Mark Twain
bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com