Losing Battle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keysfishfinder

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a strange story, maybe? A bit long, I apologize.

I was having a problem with red slime algae after changing type of salt (maybe just coincidence). I went to the lfs and was shown a product that resolved this issue without harming any tank content (so the box and the LFS salesperson said). I placed the prescribed amount in the tank on Monday before xmas, all seemed well at the time fish were acting normal. Tuesday both clarkii's were acting really strange kind of sitting on the bottom of tank in corner. Gave some food and everyone went back to normal and seemed ok that night. Wednesday morning one clarkii was acting normal the other was again not right, this time swimming upside down behind overflow. I took him out of the tank and put him in isolation, he died within hours. All other fish looked fine and were acting normal. Christmas day all seemed well and I did a 20 gal water change, and cleaned all the filters and pumps just to be safe. All seemed well, but next day 2 more fish died (one in morning another couple hours later). Now it is Sunday and I have lost all but 2.

Water levels were all normal before water change except Nitrites:
Ammonia - 0
PH - 8.3
Salt - 1.023
Nitrite = @ .25
Nitrate = 40

120 gallon tank, the urchins and hermits are fine the fish still alive are a wrasse and a small grunt. The goners 2-clarkii's, 2 damsels (yes damsels), and a gobie (big one 5")

Feeling like an evil grench!!

My small tank is doing great and water readings are same except nitrites are 0.

What is the product you used for eliminating the algae? Much of the time you will find that such products will destroy whatever you are trying to rid, but the bi-product or after-effect still resides within your system. In other words, you must perform 25%-50% water changes (after given amount of time) because of the waste you have created by killing the algae and possibly bacteria, in general, along with the possible drop in available oxygen.

I think Innovator nailed it. Yeah... it's supposed to be "ok" for your tank, and it IS... as long as your tank fits a bunch of specific parameters. Some folks use that slime remover with no ill effects, and others have unfortunately had the same experience as you. I believe most of them work by oxidizing the nasty stuff in your tank helping create the cyano. But the problem is that in the process, it ties up all the oxygen and your fish pretty much suffocate. Without massive water changes, it's bad news.

Sorry for the losses.

First response answer: I am using RO/DI and tested it prior to adding salt. The tank is over 3 months old to us, it was a up and running system when we bought it. Thanks for the reply.

Second response: thanks, the box had minimal post application instructions. I did a water change of about 20% two days after, suggested by LFS clerk. Guess I should have done a couple.

Live and learn, what a shame. Have a happy new year.

I have used red slime remover twice, and I find it essential to use carbon to remove the product from the water or else the protein skimmer foams a whole lot. A water change or 2 is also neccessary. With my situation after placing the carbon bag in the water flow for a couple of days the skimmer finally returned to normal. I also placed an aerator in the main tank to supply additional oxygen.

Back
Top Bottom