Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2003, 02:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to TriggerHappy Send a message via MSN to TriggerHappy Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerHappy
losing fish!

Well, the only thing I seem to be able to keep alive in my tank are the inverts, all the fish I have put in there have died. The latest victim is my yellow tang, i found him this morning upside down not moving. I noticed yesterday that he may have been breathing heavy but thats the only sign, he was eating nori well. What should I do, I know my levels are ok in the tank except for a bit of nitrate. Do I need a skimmer for better quality? Help! I don't wanna go to freshwater!!

BTW Just read another post, someone suggested going with more hardy fish for newer tanks like mine (about 2 months) such as blennies and goby's. Is this a good Idea? Also tomato clowns, he said were pretty hardy. I am not going to add any more fish for about another month or so...and try to stabilize the water. Advice?

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
P-H 8.2 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10-15ppm
Crushed Coral 60lbs
1 MaxiJet 1200 PH, 1 ZooMed PH, XP2 Filstar

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin.
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 05:23 PM   #2
steve-s

A little nitrate is not going to kill a fish. It would do in the inverts long before any damage/death of fish. A skimmer will improve overall water quality a fair amount but they are not absolutely neccessary to be successful providing you are doing the neccessary weekly water changes and are careful of feedings.

If the water specs in your sig line are accurate, I would be looking for an alternate cause. Might want to re-test everything just to be sure though.

Other than fast breathing, have there been any other signs? How long between fish deaths? If rather quick it could be a parasitic problem....

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-04-2003, 05:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

lost fish

Sorry to hear you lost your yellow tang. I would check your test kit. Sometimes when a test kit is expose and it's a bit old it tends to give false readings. Check to see if any of your inver. are losing it's color or if they are getting smaller.
If this is not the case check your yellow tang you might have a pathogenic bacteria associated with ornamental fish disease. Check the fish if the gills are inflamed if so then it was a bacterial disease.

Good Luck!
Old 12-05-2003, 01:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to TriggerHappy Send a message via MSN to TriggerHappy Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerHappy
I'm gonna stick with my inverts in there for awhile, this is getting ridiculous!

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
Crushed Coral 60lbs

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
Other than fast breathing, have there been any other signs? How long between fish deaths? If rather quick it could be a parasitic problem....
It may be crucial to try and pinpoint what happended by answering the above questions. It could very well help you find the problem with either the fish or your tank. Otherwise, just sticking with inverts and adding fish blindly later may subject them to a similar fate.

In the future as you get back into things, I would strongly suggest quarantining each purchase to protect the display tank from any infectious disease or parasite.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

When I first got the tang it had black dots, which eventually went away, then I noticed his face looked like it was peeling, then the rapid breathing, and that the last i saw of him. He was in the tank for about 2 weeks, no other fish.

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
Crushed Coral 60lbs

Dean Martin.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:12 PM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerHappy
When I first got the tang it had black dots, which eventually went away, then I noticed his face looked like it was peeling,
Could have been a secondary bacterial infection caused by the turbellarians or possibley HLLE. In any event, I would honestly suggest not adding any fish to the main display for about 6-8 weeks to be sure that no new acquisitions (if any) are adversely affected...

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com