Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thank you both and others. I found the eel he is doing ok. found my two shells empty of their little critters. Got them to eat the algae. They just didn't get enough to eat, so says the pet store. Anyway, I am doing a good water change today and going to see what the nitrates are. I know from FW that the nitrate rise is definitely the end of the cycle. I hope I am right. Also not listening to the store guy, I am back to doing weekly water changes. Thanks alot. Love the help. The store guy said how do I know these people of the forum. I don't think they like forums much. Thanks again, Lynda

Old 05-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol no problem. Yes they dont like anyone cutting into them making money. If everyone had a healthy and problem free tank with no losses then they would be out of business. Often times they push ideas and products at you to create those problems so that they get you returning over and over agian. This can cause many people to get very frustrated and quit the hobby entirely.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

LOL I do remember this from the fresh water tank we had for years. I seemed to have forgotten this issue with them, thank you for reminding me
Old 05-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lynda, you are on the right track, it is so easy to get in a hurry in this hobby because we want great beautiful tanks, but the more you rush, the more it will cost you and the more dishearten you will become. I have a 125 mixed and outside of salt and bulbs I spend very little on it, and i am bad as I only test 3-4 times a year, but thats because I know my tank, I do not dose anything and do weekly water changes. Once you tank is set up and mature it is not longer a labor of love, I have not lost a fish in 5-7 years, my original fish are still with me thru 3 upgrades, it does take some money to start but it goes down as your experience goes up. Best thing you can do is take your time, the oceans were not created in a month, it took thousands of years, and we are dealing with a much smaller environment, so when things go bad they go bad quickly, slow down, water changes and realize that it will take you 2 years to have the reef you want, no magic, no potions, time and patents are a reefers best friend......
Old 05-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

also what kind or eel is it, he will eat anything and everything in your tank as he gets bigger, also the bio load to keep him fed will be very large, they normally belong in a predator tank, they are cool and I had one but he ate my clowns and that was the end of the eels.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral
Lynda, you are on the right track, it is so easy to get in a hurry in this hobby because we want great beautiful tanks, but the more you rush, the more it will cost you and the more dishearten you will become. I have a 125 mixed and outside of salt and bulbs I spend very little on it, and i am bad as I only test 3-4 times a year, but thats because I know my tank, I do not dose anything and do weekly water changes. Once you tank is set up and mature it is not longer a labor of love, I have not lost a fish in 5-7 years, my original fish are still with me thru 3 upgrades, it does take some money to start but it goes down as your experience goes up. Best thing you can do is take your time, the oceans were not created in a month, it took thousands of years, and we are dealing with a much smaller environment, so when things go bad they go bad quickly, slow down, water changes and realize that it will take you 2 years to have the reef you want, no magic, no potions, time and patents are a reefers best friend......
+1 million great advise to any reefer
Old 05-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The store guy said how do I know these people of the forum. I don't think they like forums much.

Because the people on the forum want you to be successful, we want you to stay in the hobby, we want you to help other newbes in the future, because we are not trying to sell you anything, LOL Plus he has probably never kept a fish longer than a couple of weeks, they are a burn and turn them type of retail store, he probably gets offended because the more fish that die on you, the more he gets to sell, sad but true
Old 05-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

+1 million great advise to any reefer
Agree 100%!!!

My reef tank has taken over 7 years to become what it is today after 1 upgrade. (135-180).
I feel it's never done and I love that about this hobby. Slow and steady is always the way.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I bet the cycle hadnt finished everytime u added rock you started cycle again. Thats a lot of fish for that young of a tank moving way to fast
Old 05-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral View Post
The store guy said how do I know these people of the forum. I don't think they like forums much.

Because the people on the forum want you to be successful, we want you to stay in the hobby, we want you to help other newbes in the future, because we are not trying to sell you anything, LOL Plus he has probably never kept a fish longer than a couple of weeks, they are a burn and turn them type of retail store, he probably gets offended because the more fish that die on you, the more he gets to sell, sad but true
+1 I belong to 2 forums this one and another one. I love them both, I have learned so much and my tank is so much better than it was. Listen to people here and only buy fish from LFS if they have quality fish. Most of the dry goods you can order offline a lot cheaper.

Tags
fish, floating, psi, upside down

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com