Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2016, 09:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

No at petco the big bottle which is 16 ozs is 14.99 and will treat up to 960 gallons if used correctly. And the 8 oz bottle is 4.99 I don't know how many gallons it will treat, it's been a while since i bought that size .it's called kordon amquel plus ammonia detoxifier it's for fresh or saltwater , and it detoxifies nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, chlorine & chloramines. I've used this for years and never had a problem.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:38 PM   #12

No its 14.99 for a 16 oz bottle at petco, treats 960 gallons if used correctly. It takes out nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, chlorine, & chloramines. I've used this for years without a problem.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

As you using well water any chance of any contamination also do you run any activated carbon at all ?

PH is low I would be happier seeing it over 8

KH 150 !!! You sure that's correct as natural sea water only 7 ish !!!

Something is seriously amis with your chemistry within your tank or your test kits are out a mile.

1.023 is fine for FOWLR myself having a reef shoots for 1.026
Old 02-26-2016, 10:02 PM   #14

There could be contamination, Can never be sure but you can always be safe.No I don't use carbon, I'm running 2 penguin bio filters,a protein skimmer, a powerhead, and a 150 watt heater. Fluval makes this stuff called fluval sea alkalinity raises Ph to where it's supposed to be and maintains it.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbell43 View Post
Fluval makes this stuff called fluval sea alkalinity raises Ph to where it's supposed to be and maintains it.
And will also push ALK up and that's the last thing he needs !!! until he 100% sure on current level.

Good surface agitation ect will always help keep a good PH if you don't have much surface agitation then aim a powerhead or a return upwards. Also you will see a PH drop at night so test PH at the same time during day when lights been on
Old 02-26-2016, 10:26 PM   #16

It won't raise it by much if used right, my power head is pointed toward the surface and my ph dropped and alkalinity did to, the fluval put everything dead on and made my water crystal clear.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:29 PM   #17

One thing about me is that I don't sell myself on products, If they work I'll tell you it works, if it don't I'll tell you it don't.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:36 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbell43 View Post
It won't raise it by much if used right, my power head is pointed toward the surface and my ph dropped and alkalinity did to, the fluval put everything dead on and made my water crystal clear.
The only reason you would dose an Alk product is to replace the amount consumed by the system for example I have to dose 70ml of ALK a day to keep mine stable so just buying an ALK liquid and plonking it in will not work long term it will end in tears as you have to work out the weekly consumption then divide that by 7 which will give you a daily dose that's needed and the amount you have to dose will depend on the strength of the liquid you are adding it will normally quote a DKH raise per X ml over X litres not forgetting that dosing will need tweeking depending on growth ect as well as consumption can change.

Most systems especially the OP being FOWLR will have nothing consuming ALK so why dose it ? Basic waterchanges will keep his system where it's needed providing he is using a good quality water to mix his salt with without whacking chemicals in and ones that will push ALK up when his alk already high.

To the OP what salt are you using ?
Old 02-26-2016, 10:50 PM   #19

I know that's why I test my water daily, or I take it to my friend who's a marine biologist and he'll run test for me.Thats only when my test kits run out. Lol.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:52 PM   #20

I use Reef Crystals

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com