Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2016, 09:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Losing fish. Help needed.

HELP!!!

I am having a very big problem here and I am definitely in trouble.

For the past year I have been unable to keep my little friends alive. Seems like on the average they only survive several months. and dont even think about trying any invertebrates. Today I lost one of my oldest clowns. She was a little over a year old and a Gobi last week that was about the same age.

I have done water changes over and over on a regular basis. All the water testing suggests water is good. PH good spot on, calcium around 400, Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are at 0. Im at about my wits end. Tank is 55 gal FO about 3 years old but has never done very well. Problems, mostly with algae have haunted me since it was first set up.

Any help out there would greatly be appreciated.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:07 PM   #2
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

what is the salinity temp and parameters in numbers
are you using ro/di or tap have you checked for copper in your tank
once a little more info is added it may help pin point your problem

Old 02-01-2016, 10:02 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'd look into what 'the problem since day one' that you pointed out. Algae means nutrients, mostly nitrates. You'll not see it since the algae is consuming it all, giving a false 0. As those numbers rise they become stressful to fish, cutting life spans.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #4

[QUOTE=54seaweed;3340282]what is the salinity temp and parameters in numbers
are you using ro/di or tap have you checked for copper in your tank
once a little more info is added it may help pin point your problem

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I will have to track down some additional testing equipment. Unfortunately I live about 21/2 hours from the nearest decent pet store so obtaining decent information and equipment is a bit of a problem.

Also could direct me to a place that fills in the blanks on the different abbreviations. FO SW RO/DI etc etc. Some are quite easy and some I have never heard of, Thanks
Old 02-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I'd look into what 'the problem since day one' that you pointed out. Algae means nutrients, mostly nitrates. You'll not see it since the algae is consuming it all, giving a false 0. As those numbers rise they become stressful to fish, cutting life spans.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I still can't understand how you think this is accurate.
If it was as you suggest, then why bother with refugiums and ATS set-ups, bio-pellets, etc. because it is pointless because the nitrate is still there, you just can't measure it.???????
Isn't the point to get things low enough that they can't be detected?

Ammonia & nitrite are also present all the time, just at levels that remain undetectable due to the action of the filters.
nor is there any firm proof that nitrate is detrimental to fish to the degree often claimed.
I was actually shocked when researching octopi when I read about one being kept successfully in a system with nitrate well over 100ppm with no adverse effects, and octopi are one of the most sensitive critters we can keep.

What needs to be done is to view the nitrate as an indicator of how much nutrients are being put into the system because it is the best indicator.
How many folks cause more harm by chasing down numbers, especially for something as relatively benign as nitrate?

I doubt that nitrate has anything to do with the fish deaths other than being an indicator of nutrient issues.

@OP
being a fish only tank, you can easily manage algae by managing the light cycle and type of lighting.

Have you tested your source water for any type of metals or other contaminates?
Have you checked for stray voltage in the water?
Old 02-09-2016, 05:01 PM   #6

loosing fish...

In response to my tread last week here is what I have collected from testing water.

PH 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite o
nitrates 0
phosphate .25
calcium 400
KH off scale in the vicinity of 450
Water (well) temp is 75/77 @ 1.023

I have yet to be able to find someone near me that can check for metal or other contaminates.

One problem I had was the test kit. It had some noticeably different results from the new one I just purchased.

Any suggestions, please keep them civil, as to whats I am missing here please let me know. Thanks
Old 02-09-2016, 05:29 PM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

What was so drastically different from the test kits?
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:43 PM   #8

first test results

Ammonia 0
Phosphate 0
KH150
Not really sure how much difference this makes. I was just asked what the numbers were initially.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:24 PM   #9

Are you using R/O water or tap water?, Because if you're using tap this could be your problem.Try Kordons amquel water conditioner and see if that works for you and use R/O water only.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:02 PM   #10

RO v Tap water

We use only well water and have for years. This has never been a problem in the past but I guess there is a first time for everything. Thanks for the reply, I will look into it. Am I going to be scared when I see the price? lol

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com