Losing Fish to....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edison9114

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had two percula clowns and a Foxface.

Introduced a blue tang last week and he died two days after . He had some white spots all over him. The two percula clowns died today they almost looked as if they were attacked. Their skins were stripped off and their skin was so badly damaged they look as if they were flayed but now I know they weren't.

The foxface now displays some grey spots which almost looks like he has debris stuck to him.

Not realizing what was going on today, I had earlier bought some additional fish who are still bagged.

Should I remove the Foxface and treat him outside, and if so with what? If I remove the sick fish will the tank be safe to add the fish I just bought today? (Return is not an option) or should I treat the Foxface in the tank he is in now and then and put the new fish in a different tank? (Will that harm my biological filter?)

The new fish and the foxface will need to be housed seperately and treated for the time being. By the sounds of it you have either brooklynella or oodinium. Either way, any new fish added to the diplay tank will aquire whatever parasite is present.

Even though the new fish may not have a problem, unless you can house them apart from the foxface and not in the main tank, they must all be treated with the foxface in a <<quarantine tank>>. <<Hyposalinity >>would be the best broad approach unless properly able to identify the parasite. Any additional info?

Cheers
Steve

So do I leave the original aquarium empty? How will I get rid of the disease in the original tank?

reefnewb said:
With no host, the infestation will die off in time, depending of course on what it actually is.
Exactly correct. Since you do not yet know what is the cause, be sure you plan to keep the main tank fallow for a good 6 weeks until you do.

As far as what they had, that would require a bit more detailed info. Was there any obvious signs of whitish cloudy body slime, ulcers, the appearance of "pepper" sprinkled on the skin or simpley white spots?

Cheers
Steve

I respect the fact that there are some people who don't believe in treatment/medication, but if I am willing to use that, what is the best?

edison9114 said:
I respect the fact that there are some people who don't believe in treatment/medication, but if I am willing to use that, what is the best?
Without identifying exactly what parasite is causing the problem, the absolute best treatment is to quarantine all the fish and treat with hyposalinity which I linked to above. It is the most effective against many types of protozoan parasites.

Cheers
Steve

Actually with the 3 main parasites we deal with, oodinium, C. irritans or brooklynella; hyposalinity is the best treatment even when properly identified...

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom