Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-29-2005, 05:59 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Loss of "Rex" the Jewel Moray

Rex died somtime in the early hours of this morning. I honestly feel that it was fish "old age" that got him. I do not know how long they live in the wild, but I got him from a LFS 2 1/2 years ago and I KNOW that they had him at least 5 years as I would always "visit" when I went in....I bought him for 20.00 because the LFS owner was pretty well sure he was going to die as he had been attacked and mauled by a green moray in the 300 gallon tank he was in. He stayed in a 20 gallon tank with melafix for his wounds for a month and then moved into the 100 gallon with "Levi" the snowflake eel.

He was a pretty cool fish and will be missed.

Old 05-29-2005, 06:31 PM   #2
zacdl

Is that the monstor one you had?

Old 05-29-2005, 07:03 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

no, rex was not that big....
Old 05-30-2005, 02:35 AM   #4

Say Hara, I seem to have remembered that you had four eels in one tank and i not get here as much, but i do remember you telling me the four eels were two SF and two yellow head morays (Fimbriated moray).
I had noticed that you not mention much of anything of the Fimbriated morays for i was wondering how those four are doing till this point of time and perhaps you can post a picture with the four, for that too i not noticed for even in your Gallery you show no pictures. I am very interested to know if they still doing all as good as when you last told me.
Buddy ><{{{{">

Old 05-30-2005, 02:37 AM   #5

Sorry for the double posting, but i forgot to add this 8O

Hara, with most captive Morays for sale are usually still in their juvenile stages so this jewel couldn`t had died from old age in that short a time frame which i am sorry for your lost. Now why would someone house eels like the jewel with a Green??
Buddy

Old 05-30-2005, 10:02 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

the fimbriated morays are doing fine, no pictures as they are quite reclusive. As far as old age....I think a minimum of 7.5 years is a fairly old age for a fish in captivity, but I could be wrong. Why did he house the jewel with a green? Who knows why LFS people do the things they do for display tanks...
Old 05-30-2005, 10:03 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry for you loss Hara.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:07 AM   #8

Quote:
I think a minimum of 7.5 years is a fairly old age for a fish in captivity
That be rather sad if you really believe something as that short a life span My DME (Pair) are on their tenth year with me and i am their only owner. So I guess that would depend on each hobbyist to what they would believe as well as how well they care for these
animals for they live much longer indeed . And depending on the species it can live 20 years and plus some.

On the fimbriated morays, you wouldn`t mind posting a picture? Myself for now, i use some host site to be able to manage to post any photos i take and i will make a selection of the last few photos that i took some two months ago of my Male DME and a pair of juvenile Goldentails while feeding.

Male DME;
http://img170.echo.cx/my.php?image=dscf0007c5nl.jpg
Male DME out in front while the Female lays back at the right;
http://img200.echo.cx/my.php?image=dscf00094yd.jpg
Goldentail;
http://img261.echo.cx/my.php?image=dscf0003a1yb.jpg
Feeding time;
http://img211.echo.cx/my.php?image=dscf00154pg.jpg
http://img261.echo.cx/my.php?image=dscf00144zo.jpg
Pair of Goldentails still in their juvenile;
http://img211.echo.cx/my.php?image=dscf00057rx.jpg

Buddy ><{{{{">

Old 05-30-2005, 01:07 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
That be rather sad if you really believe something as that short a life span
I told you that I knew of the eel being at least 7.5 years old. It could have been
a good bit older as it has not changed in size since I have "known" it. Furthermore,
the eel had been through alot before I purchased it, I rather resent your implication that the eel did not live longer due to lack of proper care.

Quote:
On the fimbriated morays, you wouldn`t mind posting a picture?
I also told you that I have no recent pictures of them. They are reclusive and
I have not spent the time and effort to photograph them...I will not make a special effort to do so.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:40 PM   #10

Quote:
I also told you that I have no recent pictures of them. They are reclusive and
I have not spent the time and effort to photograph them...I will not make a special effort to do so.
I find it kind of funny that you have a photo of a jewel or so but none of this moray and you a number of times always said you these four eels in one tank, but seeing is believing and you not wish to post a photo, then fine, i not believe it then for anyone can say all kind of marine species they hold, but are all saying the truth?

See, i can prove I have my eels and folks know that, Not here maybe for im here little and i can guess you wish i wasn`t. But i seen many who claim much and they not had the eels. Now i can guess that maybe at one time you did have the four together in i think it was a 120 gal tank if i recall. I mentioned to you that the two Sf wouldn`t have a change against the aggression of the two yellowheads. You can tell me i no idea in what im talking about if you like, but it not changes the fact you only a number of times boasted of them, but not one here has seen them.

So you either have them or not, there is no shame for to had failed at anytime in the hobby for many do, but they learn from it as well and move on. For i said nothing out of hand to say your a phony other then you said it yourself in refusing to even post a picture, so i would have to believe that all or least half you said some months ago was false.

See for one as yourself as I, I talk of my eels and I can show photos, you done much talking of those four eels in a 120 and yet never shown any pictures, so what is one too believe if i may ask?

Just like in a number of other forum sites, those who talk much about their trigger, Moray, grouper, etc so many times and time again, they post photos.... Look around for people are happy for what they managed to do and want to show it as well.

Like the saying goes, there is success in others in these forums seeing for themselves one had a moray species or other wise for so many years and they across those years seen up to date photos as well, this is what i call solid evidence of ones success.

So you can say what ever you want in resenting my implication as you put it, but with all honesty, i see you all the time boast of these eels and no photo when you shown in your gallery the jewel you lost in which i am truly sorry of that lost

Best of luck in your future years
Buddy
And you not need to post any photo

Closed Thread

Tags
jewel, loss, moray

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com