Lost a clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reese

Aquarium Advice Activist
I came home today and couldn't find one of my false percs. The other was off just hanging in his/her spot near the return. I did a little searching around in and out of the tank and unfortunately found it behind the LR with a hermit on it.

I'm sure that the scarlet didn't do the job as it's not big enough but I'm concerned because not only is the other clown just hanging around, but my royal gramma has been hiding in the rocks and didn't even come out when I put some food in.

I checked my parameters and everything seems fine. Ammonia 0, trites 0, trates- just trace, pH 8.2. I just did a 20 % water change two days ago. spec grav/salinity is fine.

Is there something else I should be checking? Phosphates? The only things that I can think of that are different are that I've recently changed the lighting and added a second pump that runs through a UV sterilizer. I did notice a spike in the nitrates prior to the change but figured it was either overdue for a water change and/or the sterilizer was cutting down the algae population that may have been feeding off it. I doubt that the gramma killed the perc even though I've seen him go at this particular fish every now and then. But for the most part they all got along.

This sucks because not only was I about to add another fish, but that was a great pair of percs that never left eachothers' side. Oh well...

Sorry about your clown. It is really hard to say what happened. It may have just died. Water parameters are fine and PO4 should not make a difference. Just keep an eye on the remaining fish to see if anything developes.

Back
Top Bottom