Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2005, 02:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
Lost a damsel...why?

I recently set up a small 10 gallon FOWLR tank. Only a pound of rock right now. I have had the tank up for maybe a week. Fish have been doing great. I have only fed them once. Came in today and one was dead. Checked my ammonia level and it is still zero. And my ph is 8.0. SG is 1.022 according to two testers. Temp is 79-80.

These damsels came from the same tank. Is it possible they began to get aggressive with each other? The one that is left is still acting odd. I am afraid he may die also.

I know 2 damsels to start a tank is too much. Buddy took my blue damsel and bought me a yellow tail like I wanted. So I went ahead and got another from the same tank. I had planned on adding them to my 38 within the next couple of days. Now I am not sure what I am going to do.

I was expecting high levels of ammonia....but that isn't the case. So they must either have been sick or fighting. My LR is growing and becoming more colorful. So I doubt the water is to terribly bad.

Any ideas?

PS: I did do a 15% or so water change earlier just in case.

Old 03-16-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

how long have you been doing sw?

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a 38 gallon tank set up for awhile. But that has been a few years ago. Just jumped back into it recently.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 03:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

So you said you planned on putting them in the 38 eventually, is it set up yet? And also, after a week you should have a high ammonia reading and some nitrite reading already. Also the lr was all you needed to cycle the tank. You don't need to use live fish. If you suspect the water(and I do) you should try to get rid of the remaining fish(either give to your friend or take back to store). Damsels are aggressive in general and are usually just a pain in the a. Make sure(and I'm sure you have)that the test kit you have is for sw. I have seen people recently who were using fw by accident and getting screwy readings. 10 gallons is pretty small and they may have gotten aggressive but it's probably the water. If you have a 38 why are you using the 10 as your main setup? I asked how long you had been doing this because I don't like to have people feel insulted by my answers and it helps to know how much you might know about it.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I set up the 10 one day for no real reason. Since I had it empty and such.

38 had some piranha in it at the time I set up the 10 gallon. Now it is empty. That is why the 38 isn't set up yet. I was going to wait till I get paid to get some substrate and LR and such.

The test kit I used is for SW BUT it is pretty old. At least 2-3 years I would say.

My damsel is acting strange....which makes me think its the water.

Is 1-2lbs going to be enough to cycle it?

I was going to wait until I can afford to order 44lbs of base rock from liverocks.com for the 38 gallon. Not sure how much longer that will be. I am a poor college student.

I may take a water sample to the local store and see if they can test it. Maybe my testers are just to old.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
Old 03-16-2005, 03:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The test kits will last as long as a year but my last one only went for about 8 months then started testing funny, so 2 to 3 years is definitely bad. One piece of lr would be enough. The lfs will test all 4 of the usual parameters for you, usually for free.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah they test for free. I will take a sample over and try that.

I don't know what to do with the damsel. Buddy is also doing a 10 gallon. He has a blue damsel that seems to be doing very well. It was from a much better store than my two. Hopefully I didn't get sick fish.

Old 03-17-2005, 01:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lost the other damsel to. I am going to have to go buy some new test kits and see what is up. I have a feeling the 2 fish and the rock was just to much to soon. I hope thats all it is anyway.

Old 03-17-2005, 10:22 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I agree to check the test kit. After only a week, your cycle may not have finished yet.
How did you acclimate the fish?
Old 03-17-2005, 12:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Might I suggest fishless cycling in the future?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=15

Tags
damsel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com