Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2005, 08:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lost an Angel, Now a Tang - Page 2 Post 2

Hello.

Well I bought a half-black angel last saturday, acclimated it by matching temp.. then added half a cup of water over a two hour period. I put the fish in and everything was fine.

The fish had been active and everyone was getting along. It was swimming around when my wife was feeding it and eating like normal. Anyway She left and 10 minutes later when I left I walked past the tank and saw it laying on the sand dead. No heavy breathing.. no loss of appetite.. Rest of the fish are fine.

I have the following in the tank.

2 bar gobies
2 damsels
1 yellow tang
1 cc starfish
2 cleaner shrimp
2 crabs
3 snails

When I first added the angel it was chased a little by the tang. Then it stopped after two days. No aggression problems. The damsels have left everything alone. Is it possible the tang beat up the angel and knocked it out? I was in a rush to leave but I didn't notice it breathing. The fish was also pretty stiff.

$50 dollars flushed down the toilet

Old 10-03-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

how big is your tank?

Old 10-03-2005, 08:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

55 gallon it was pretty full on bioload with teh angel and yellow tang
Old 10-03-2005, 09:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i'm not an expert but i'd say it could have been that he was just over stressed and died. Then again, your tang, damsals and gobies are pretty hardy and might have survived an ammonia spike that killed the angel. Not sure. Sorry for your loss.

Oh, and you're probably right about the angel being a bit much for the 55g. you were probably maxed out with what you had before you added the angel.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm such an idiot. I didn't follow the directions on my nitrate test properly. I didn't figure it was off too much because I have a skimmer. I redid the test and it was off the charts.. 150+ - Just changed 15 gallons, cleaned out the canister filter and all pads/guards on powerheads. Now I have a reading of 20 on nitrate. I'll do anotehr change this weekend. I knew something was funny when my tangs tail was mis-colored. Serves me Right.

My skimmer has just stopped getting gunk as well. It's a seaclone 100. El Cheapo. Any other mods I can do to help it? Right now I drilled a hole and put a tube in the intake with an airstone. It worked great for a few months. Now it isn't gathering anything. Not foaming enough.

Should I toss this thing out the window or can I salvage it?!?
Old 10-04-2005, 09:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I would highly consider an upgrade, but there must be other factors for your nitrated to be that high.
How often do you feed and how much? How often do you do water changes? What other kind of filtration are you employing such as LR?
Old 10-04-2005, 09:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Usually do a change once a month.. real small 2-4 gallons. I haven't cleaned out my canister before.. it has been going about a month and a half. Filter turned the water I rinsed in it black. Should I do a 33% change once every two weeks? once a month?

I have 30 lbs of live rock and 30 lbs of base rock I added about a month ago. Also 30 lbs live sand 20 lb regular sand.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I would consider doing 10% change every 2 weeks (I did in my 55 and had good water quality) and definitely would upgrade the skimmer.

Inverts
Green & Red Musrooms, Pumping Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Green/Purple Ricordia, Orange Ricordia, Green Acro, Bubble Coral, Hammer Coral, Maxima Clam, Crocea Clam, peppermint shrimp, various snails and crabs.

Fish
Yellow Tang, Mated Perculas, Bicolor Blenny, Elaegant Wrasse, Possum Wrasse, Clown Goby, Purple Pseudochromis, Coral Beauty, Golden Angel
seve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:25 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
I would consider doing 10% change every 2 weeks (I did in my 55 and had good water quality) and definitely would upgrade the skimmer.
Agree, plus consider doubling the amount of LR at least. The best natural filtration you can get.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:35 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Quote:
Originally Posted by noteworthy
My skimmer has just stopped getting gunk as well. It's a seaclone 100. El Cheapo. Any other mods I can do to help it? Right now I drilled a hole and put a tube in the intake with an airstone. It worked great for a few months. Now it isn't gathering anything. Not foaming enough.

Should I toss this thing out the window or can I salvage it?!?
Ive been looking into DIY skimmers and mods lately..
Ive seen alot of complaints about the seaclone (and some complete overhalls of them on other forums).. It would take alot of modifcation to make it a great skimmer but.. I think it could be done.. you might want to search around for skimmer mods for it..
Ive seen a reserculting DIY needle wheel mod. for the seaclone 100 (dont ask me to find it because that's one fast moving forum and Ive lost it, or the moderators there removed it for cloging up bandwith)
they basicly put the seaclone on top of a pvc main skimmer housing, plumbed a reculating loop for the needlewheel (took water from the bottom of the main housing and pumped it right back in just above that level on the other side), fed about, in your case 75gph (power head with a ball valve on the output) into the main housing up closer to the riser cone, and put a pvc gate valve on the output to fine tune it.. the closed loop was powered by a mag 5 with a needle wheel modification on the impeller (he drilled out a circle from one of those flat plastic type horse brush, and put a air line into the input water line with a air controll valve)..
greef.. thats about as good an explination I can give for what I read.. sorry if thats tough to follow..

Tags
angel, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com