Lost both of my two year old clowns within 24 hours!!!!!!???? WTH???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Packohotdogs

Aquarium Advice Activist
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Both of my clowns died of brooklynella within 24 hours. On Sunday they were fine, swimming, playing, eating like pigs. Then on Monday they wouldn't eat. When my full lights came on, I saw the coating of the white slime of death. I put them in a formalin bath (after catching them, which was a blast) and returned them to the tank. By the time I woke up yesterday they were peeling, so I thought ok cool... I'll return at lunch and dip them again for 30 minutes or so.

By the time I returned they were both nose down on the sand like a sunk submarine.

I am so blown!!!! They were my original fish. Now they are GONE. A tear just fell on my desk.

So, what caused it??? Well, my water is stellar. The first thing I did while they were in the dip was to do a full spectrum test. Water was stellar:

Amm: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: ~5ppm
PH: 8.3-8.4
SG: 1.025

The only other thing that changes was that I essentially doubled my lights on Friday afternoon. I added two more ecopico strips to grown the new Hammer Coral and Zoas I had bought earlier in the week. I also increased the time they on full blast to 7 hours or so per day.

Could this be it? Could I have killed my little guys with too sudden a change of light? I know brooklynella gets bad with severe stress. I doubt the corals would have stressed them as they were acting normal.

I now have no fish left.... just my corals which I plan to focus on for a month or two, and see how it goes. I was so let down, that I was about to sell everything. However, that is not the right path for me.... yet. Oh, what a day... :banghead:

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Both of my clowns died of brooklynella within 24 hours. On Sunday they were fine, swimming, playing, eating like pigs. Then on Monday they wouldn't eat. When my full lights came on, I saw the coating of the white slime of death. I put them in a formalin bath (after catching them, which was a blast) and returned them to the tank. By the time I woke up yesterday they were peeling, so I thought ok cool... I'll return at lunch and dip them again for 30 minutes or so. By the time I returned they were both nose down on the sand like a sunk submarine. I am so blown!!!! They were my original fish. Now they are GONE. A tear just fell on my desk. So, what caused it??? Well, my water is stellar. The first thing I did while they were in the dip was to do a full spectrum test. Water was stellar: Amm: 0 Nitrites: 0 Nitrates: ~5ppm PH: 8.3-8.4 SG: 1.025 The only other thing that changes was that I essentially doubled my lights on Friday afternoon. I added two more ecopico strips to grown the new Hammer Coral and Zoas I had bought earlier in the week. I also increased the time they on full blast to 7 hours or so per day. Could this be it? Could I have killed my little guys with too sudden a change of light? I know brooklynella gets bad with severe stress. I doubt the corals would have stressed them as they were acting normal. I now have no fish left.... just my corals which I plan to focus on for a month or two, and see how it goes. I was so let down, that I was about to sell everything. However, that is not the right path for me.... yet. Oh, what a day... :banghead:
I'm so sorry for your loss! I'm new to saltwater an can give no advice on the fish. I'm just so sad for you.

I do appreciate it!!! I came home yesterday, and said hello to Jacque, my cleaner shrimp... He still oves me, but it just isn;t the same without my clowns crackfish and red. RIP buddies!!!

To paraphrase Dr. evil... "I'll probably just move on and buy another clown, but there'll be a 10 minute period where I'll be simply inconsoluble".

RIP Crackfish and Red!!!

That's a bummer. I would also want to get to the bottom of it there must have been something that triggered it. Based on what you said that had changed I can't think of any of that- lights, coral- stressing fish to that extent. Did you rearrange the rocks for the new coral? Did you dip the coral? I know it is highly unlikely but perhaps some parasite hitchiked in on the coral?? Idk kind of grasping at straws here. I know intense light bothers anthias but I've never heard of clowns having any issues with it. Sorry for the loss.

Back
Top Bottom