Lost Emperor Angel to ich...help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flow863

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i noticed white spots on a a few of my fish including emperor angel, leutenant tang, and powder brown tang
I have started adding kordon ich attack to my tank yesterday and i been double dosing
I was not running uv sterilizer but i connected it earlier today abd is now running
Am thinking about lowering my salinity to 1.010 which i have read would be really beneficial to getting rid of the ich.
Is this a good idea?
Any tips on helping me
I have lost my emperor angel and he wasnt eating for about two days so i kinda knew he wasnt gonna make it but i really dont wamt to lose any other fish
Help please >_<

You are treating your main tank? Ideally you would want to set up a quarantine/hospital tank for treatment but now you have dosed your main tank that is kinda pointless. With treatment you may have to wait a couple days to see the results so be patient. Is there coral in the tank? If so reducing salinity is likely going to harm them IMO.

No medications really work. I would trust soaking food in garlic and vitamins more. Dropping salinity to 1.008 will kill the ick, but also the rock and sand. I would move the fish and drop the salinity there.

Well meds do work, copper as in cupramine works great. Also if you medicated your tank you shouldn't drop the salinity you can't do both. You should get the fish into a qt tank leave your main tank fishless for 6 to 8 weeks to kill of the ich and treat you qt tank with cupramine. If you use the copper you'll need to get a test kit that reads ionic copper (api) will work make sure you follow the direction. Cupramine is also a milder form of copper thats not as toxic.

+1 tonedogz,,
There are only 2 tried and true ways to really "kill" ich..
hypo and copper..
Hypo must be 1.009-1.008 to work,and must be kept there the whole treatment.

+1 tonedogz,,
There are only 2 tried and true ways to really "kill" ich..
hypo and copper..
Hypo must be 1.009-1.008 to work,and must be kept there the whole treatment.
Just to add to your post FT he'll need a refractometer for the hypo to assure accuracy.

I was talking about the meds like the ones he is using. Yes, copper and hypo are the only two proven ways.

Ok so i should remove fish and place them in a baretank with tank water and copper?
No cycle needed?
And do hyposalinity in tank for 6 weeks?
Will that affect the beneficial bacteria?
I really appreciate all you guys help :]

Bare tak with tank water and copper. You can use a hob filter with some white filter pad to catch debris. Test the water for ammonia and everything else, ph, trates, trites. Do the water changes as necessary and make sure your copper levels are consistent. Also, my fish guy (makes house calls) said for tangs and puffers to keep the cooper at 1.00 on the API kit, but for fish with scales, you can go higher. Also, said the copper safe was better than the cupramine. Have treated many fish this way over the years with success. If you have a spare power head or airstone you can throw that in too for more oxygenation of the water.

Display tank should be fallow (without fish) for 6-8 weeks. You can leave the inverts and coral if you have in the main tank. Ich doesn't affect them, but don't dose them with copper. They will all perish!

Good luck!!!

Ok so i should remove fish and place them in a baretank with tank water and copper?
No cycle needed?
And do hyposalinity in tank for 6 weeks?
Will that affect the beneficial bacteria?
I really appreciate all you guys help :]
You can't do both copper and hypo you can only do one or the other. If your talking about hypo in the main tank if there's no fish in it you don't have to do anything but keep it fishless for 6 to 8 weeks. do not use copper or hypo in your main tank.

Ok gotcha
So once i treat the fish with copper and leave the tank fishless for 6 weeks
The fish will not get ich once i place them back in the tank?

Ok gotcha
So once i treat the fish with copper and leave the tank fishless for 6 weeks
The fish will not get ich once i place them back in the tank?
Yes the ich needs a host fish to survive without one they will die. I'd make sure you use a qt tank from now on to prevent this from happening again. Make sure you watch you ammonia levels in the qt tank.

So what size hospital tank do i need?
I have 2 triggers, 3 tangs, 1 dwarf angel, and a puffer
Will they all do fine in a 55 gallon hospital tank?
Im treating them tomorrow and i think ima go with treating them with copper and leaving main tank fishless for 6 weeks

So what size hospital tank do i need?
I have 2 triggers, 3 tangs, 1 dwarf angel, and a puffer
Will they all do fine in a 55 gallon hospital tank?
Im treating them tomorrow and i think ima go with treating them with copper and leaving main tank fishless for 6 weeks
Well tangs should be in a larger tank but you use what you have and its really only for a few weeks so that should be ok. Just make sure you keep an eye on the ammonia rise. Good luck

+1. Hypo can be done in the dt, it's just risky. I did it, it worked, but my bb died and I needed to use a rock I kept in a different tank to seed.

Well i was thinking about doing hypo in dt but found a comeplete 55 gal setup half off for 125 so that is where i will be doing the hypo treatment.
Put 55 gallons of the tank water and transferred fish.
So how much should i drop the salinity each day?

Back
Top Bottom