Lost my clown ;-(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjbaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Guys,

I've had my tank up and running for about 3 months now. Bought my first clown fish about 4 weeks back and he was looking great and doing fine.
Last week I bought an anemone for him and a small regal tang at the same time.
The tang is still fine although he does tend to hide in the rocks alot.
The Anemone I'm not too sure about. It ate a prawn the day I bought it but it just seems a little sad :-( . I know my lighting at the mo isn't great (Compacts) but I intend to change to LED's in the near future for him. He has deflated twice but after reading up it seems that this is the norm.
Anyway, I woke this morning to NO nemo ;-(. I can't see him anywhere in the tank so i'm thinking he must of died in the night and something has eaten him.I
I just cant understand why he's died after looking so bright last night.

Can the anemone give anything off if he is unwell ?
I do have a xanthid crab somewhere in the tank which I've been trying to catch, could this have eaten Nemo ?

I've tested my water and the results are:
Nitrate 10
Phos 0.25
Nitrite 0
Ammo 0
PH 7.4 (I am struggling to get this up! Any ideas ?)
Calcium 440 ppm
dkh 7 (125.3 ppm)

Any advice or help would be great

Thanks

Your tank is way to young to have an anemone and with you knowing your lights are not good enough, it was a poor decision to buy it. Also, you should not feed an anemone big chunks of anything. It's not natural for them to eat anything big. On the reefs, any big piece of food will get eaten way before it reaches an anemone. If it dies, it can quickly pollute your water. What size tank is this anyway?

The crab is an opportunistic feeder and will eat any free meal, sickly or dead fish included.

What are you using to test pH? That reading is almost too low to be possible in a typical saltwater system.

Yes I agree the anemone was a stupid buy and reading up I soon realised this.
The tank is 175L.
The Test for the PH is from my old fresh water test kit, When first setting up I emailed API to see if any of these test would be Ok for salt water or would I have to by new. They said that the tests would be ok if I checked the results against a new set of cards which they sent. I have since bought a reef testing kit but this never had a PH test in it so have been using the other with the new card they sent.

Most test kits are really only good for 6 months to a year. I would look to purchase a new test kit. I would recommend a Salifert pH test kit. It may cost a bit more than some others, but it is very accurate and easy to read.

Your tank is too small for the tang,your lights as you have said aren't enough for the nem,It wont take long to die if these aren't changed and as stated will nuke your tank.
how often do you do pwc and how much?
Did you acclimate the fish,how and how long if you did.

David S said:
Your tank is too small for the tang,your lights as you have said aren't enough for the nem,It wont take long to die if these aren't changed and as stated will nuke your tank.
how often do you do pwc and how much?
Did you acclimate the fish,how and how long if you did.

I do a 20% pwc weekly and acclimatised them for an hour using the drip method.
I know the tang will grow too big for the tank eventually. I was planning on letting him go once he reached a certain size.

I do a 20% pwc weekly and acclimatised them for an hour using the drip method.
I know the tang will grow too big for the tank eventually. I was planning on letting him go once he reached a certain size.
With tangs its not the amount of gallons in a tank but the length of the tank,your tank is too small for a tang

LETTING HIM GO? WHERE? You cant just throw fish in the ocean if that what your talking about. Its actually illegal. Just sell him to a LFS. Sorry about your clown. I hate losing fish. Good Luck with your tank!!!!!

crister13 said:
LETTING HIM GO? WHERE? You cant just throw fish in the ocean if that what your talking about. Its actually illegal. Just sell him to a LFS. Sorry about your clown. I hate losing fish. Good Luck with your tank!!!!!

lol I'm sure he meant giving it up like to someone or a LFS.

crister13 said:

Even if it was legal. Throwing him back into the ocean on any of the English coasts would likely result in death by jam rags or used condoms. Yes I mean selling him on to lfs. Lol

crister13 said:

Ya he definitly ment giving him to the lfs. Good luck

I had a shore crab that 2 of my fish. I would get rid of the crab and get some other kind of cleaner or bottom feeder.

I just hope that it was the culprit. Posted the same post on another site but they don't seem to think it would have been the crab. For both fish to be in great health until the lights go out makes me think it's some kind of night feeder that having them.

Since I got rid of my crab I have not had a problem, so I'm pretty sure was probably the crab.

Back
Top Bottom