Lost Several Fish Heads Turn RED!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrickriley2010

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I moved out two weeks ago and in the process my tank stand got broken. I have been setting up my new place since then while my tank was moved from a 20 gallon to a 10 gallon set up temporarily at my girlfriends place. I only had a few fish as two died just before the move.

Anyways 3 fish small danios have died this week and two of them today, previously was my Dwarf Gourami. I noticed that their faces are getting blood red like they are having brain aneurysms. IDK what to do I was headed to my girlfriends place to move them tonight then she found two more dead, and noticed that all of their heads looked bloody red. It shouldnt be ammonia poisoning as there was only a few fish in the tank 4 danios all under or just a above a half inch, a platy, and a dwarf goruami. now its just 1 danio and 1 platy.

What can be done or is my tank doomed?

Have you checked your water parameters or used your 20G filter on your 10? What about your aeration and beneficial bacteria in the new tank?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have you checked your water parameters or used your 20G filter on your 10? What about your aeration and beneficial bacteria in the new tank?

I have two filters on the 10 that were on my 20 both meant for 30 gallon tanks, Its over kill and the tanks were established. Haven't been able to look at the parameters.

Did you move the filters over right away so the bacteria didn't die?

Is there any chance something got into your tank? Household sprays? Or was the tank previously cleaned with something? I would up the pwc with dechlorinated water and see if this helps. How's your fish now?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

'

yes i was very careful about that.

Hmm. I read that ammonia poisoning can cause them to have an internal hemmoraging like reaction. And red or purplish striping along their gills. I wonder if that didn't happen to them. Were you able to check the water? How are the rest of them?

During the move, if your substrate got disturbed at all, anaerobic bacteria would have been exposed to oxygenated water. A huge die off would have been likely causing an ammonia spike.

Back
Top Bottom