lowering salinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tattoo13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What is the best way to lower the salinity of my 46 gallon bowfront? Can I just add freshwater to the tank as long as the PH and Temp are the same.This if my first attemp at a saltwater tank. it has been set up for allmost three weeks. I an fighting a case of ick. I treated the tank with copper ( I killed my turbo snail).

it's better to treat ich in a quarantine tank. by adding any copper to the main tank you'll kill all inverts (like your snail), and very likely will thwart attempts at keeping any inverts in the tank for some time.

Definately set up a QT if your in need of treating a fish. Do not mix treaments though, one or the other. Combining copper meds and hyposalinity will typically result in the fishs' death. Be sure you run a polyfilter or carbon as well as several water changes to reduce/eliminate the copper from the main system depending on type used.

As far as lowering the salinity, you can actually lower it much faster than it can be raised. You can check out step by step instructions on hyposalinity >>here<<

Moved to the sick fish/coral forum.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom