LR and Copper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

subliminalanarchy

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I may have messed up and put copper in a tank that already had LR in it. My question is this: about how much of the copper will the LR absorb and how is this going to affect the efficiency of the copper treatment? I've already accepted that this will never be a reef tank and that's fine with me I'm just really trying to get the ich out of the system and this is pretty much my last resort. Also, is the copper going to completely destroy the bacteria colonies in the filter or just temporarily hinder them?

If you are going to have a FOWLR tank you`ll be OK. You just wont be able to have corals or shrimp and crabs with that LR. The copper gets in the nooks and crannies of the LR and is hard to get out. Once it gets in it will leak out over the years. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

In addition to what Mike said you will need to get a test kit for Cu (Copper) to make sure you are keeping it at therapeutic levels.

The bacteria will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom