LTA Worries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vettitude

Aquarium Advice Regular
Put my first LTA in the tank yesterday. I couldn't get him to stop floating around the tank. I had my return pump running but power heads off and lights off. I tried to hold it in place to let him bury his foot for over an our. Every time I let go, he was start floating again. I finally placed him near a rock that was blocking the flow and pushed sand around him to help keep him in place. Water parameters are very good. Water changes every week.
He stayed open for a good part of the night. He started to be only about half open the last part of the night. Now this morning, he is completely in his tube. A few questions:
A) do they go in their tubes each night?
B) he is in a low flow area. Should I point a small power head towards him so it has some flow?
C) should I leave him alone and let him figure it out?
1st pick was from LFS
2nd pic when 1st in tank with lights on
3rd pic this morning
Didn't get a pic last night when he was half in/half out.
Thanks in advance for the advice.

Attachments

• image-3282086110.jpg
    image-3282086110.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 116
  • image-1779641876.jpg
    image-1779641876.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 116
  • image-2369509654.jpg
    image-2369509654.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 125
They will move around unil they find a happy spot on there own. As long as you have proper lighting requirements, low PO4 and NO3, and a well balanced tank he will do fine. If he keeps moving around a lot I would try and build a temp cage around powerheads etc... they can get sucked in

Lighting is 2 month old 4 bulb T5 (4x54)
Phosphate .025 and zero on trates.
Thanks for the feedback.

It had a good day yesterday. Was open and looked fuller than before.
This morning, under moonlights, open and full. Maybe I can relax for a bit!

Came home from work yesterday and found that it had moved into a cave. It is completely open but pulled all the way into the darkness.
I only have a 4 Bulb T5 (4x54) light. I was worried it may not be enough. Now it seems like it is hiding from the light. Flow was low/moderate where it started at. I cannot see its tentacles moving much now so it must be in a low flow/low light area.
Does this seem normal?

Attachments

• image-1759766765.jpg
    image-1759766765.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 126
Just watch him for a few days and see what happens. You can't force it to do anything. That anemone was pretty bleached when you bought it. It was probably accustomed to very poor/no lighting in collection tanks and transport bags. This must be a bit of a shock to it.

He stayed there yesterday and through the night as well. Gave him some mysis yesterday. Couldn't see too well on how he handled it.
I didn't know exactly how it should have looked when purchased so thanks for the response on being bleached. I can't dim the lights at all so hopefully he will adjust and emerge.
Thanks for the response.

I've had 2 of those and neither one lived. Spoke to another lfs an they said don't try to keep long tentacles. The 90% of the time don't live. Good luck.

I have one in one of my sump tanks right now, doing very well. I bought a few of them in assorted colors from a wholesale supplier and they all came in very bleached like Vettitudes specimen. They did not like the powerful LED lighting and all of them retracted and became puny white globs. I turned the fixture all the way down as low as it could get and they bounced back. I think they just take a longer acclimation period.
The ones I purchased were quoted as being "Ultra" colored, but they were just so bleached that they appeared neon under artificial lighting.
Here it is now. Not quite ultra. It's mostly brown with a green tint on the tentacles with a few white spots...
img_2300097_0_da60d685352a69c932a5d42832b4f1dd.jpg

img_2300097_1_d277262150bd86b3b5f82501c3203854.jpg

Back
Top Bottom