Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2004, 01:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
Lucky fin Help

Ok so I bought 2 clown fish on Friday and they are the only fish in my tank right now (46 gal). When I got up this morning I was looking at one of them and he has a lucky fin. One of the fins on his body dose not moves and it looks like there is a little cut on the fin. Is there any thing I should do? Should I take him back? Or will he just be fine

Old 01-24-2004, 01:45 PM   #2
steve-s

Could simpley be an injury from netting at the LFS and/or transfer to your tank. Best suggestion is keep an eye on it for possible infection and feed with fortified vitamin foods. That combined with good water quality, the fish should in time recover on it's own.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-24-2004, 02:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

well i really can not getthem to eat any thing right now i do not know if it is because they are new to the tank or what. and the fortifed vitamins what are some of the foods that would work for that. i am trying to feed them tetra marine flakes and tetra whole brine shrimp right now.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

and why i am at it how much should i be paying for a fish at the LFS i got the 2 clowns for 100. is that way to much or what they go for at a LFS. i know that i couyld get them online but i live in MN an it is like 0 right now and most of the week the high will not be much higher then 5. so i did not want to order online and i really do not trust that shipping thing.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:21 PM   #5
steve-s

They may yet be a bit skiddish since the move but be sure you do not overfeed in hopes of getting them to eat. In the short term I would stick with the brine or mabye mysis fortified with Zoe. It's not the best food but it should entice them faster than flake or other type foods and the Zoe will boost the nutritional value. Just be sure the foods are not too large for them or it may just get spit out. If that's the case, you may need to try a different food or spin it through the blender/foodprocessor to break it up. Once they are accepting the foods and a bit more "settled", you can opt for a more nutritious food supp.

Make sure you also keep tabs on the water quality and do the necessary water changes to keep it in line.

Your LFS took you for bit of a ride on the cost. Locally, they cost me $19.00 for WC and about $25.00 for TR, that's in Canadian $$ so a little less in US $.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-25-2004, 12:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

It depends on the species of clown you bought but even expensive clowns here are no more than $30 each.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

There are lots of website you can order fish from. I've heard good things about LiveAquaria.com
Old 01-25-2004, 12:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

There are lots of website you can order fish from. I've heard good things about LiveAquaria.com
Old 01-25-2004, 05:05 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to BONESTOCK
OMG...the LFS ripped you off....bring it back if you can....****.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
100 HOLY S#$T... I can get a mated pair of true percs at my lfs for 40. HOLY COW 100 i can not get over that

Tags
fin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com