Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2006, 10:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lymphocystis on O. Clown?

OK... here's the patient:

O. Clown bought last Wednesday, currently in QT with a cleaner shrimp bought from same tank at same time. On Friday, this whitish lump appears under his eye, right next to his mouth. No other white specks or slime covering the fish. He's swimming fine, feeding fine (mysis shrimp, blood worms, Formula 1 pellets) and doesn't seem in any distress.

Saturday, the white lump got smaller and appeared that part of it either fell off or was "cleaned" by the cleaner shrimp... although the two don't seem that friendly at this point.

Now on Monday, the lump is getting a bit bigger again.

SG is 1.024, pH 8.3-8.4, temp 76-77 deg, ammonia/nitrites 0, nitrates 10ppm. 10 gallon QT with a chunk of live rock and a Biowheel 100, fully cycled.

Is this lymphocystis? Doesn't seem like ich/velvet as there are no other indications.

Any ideas? I'm currently just taking a wait, watch, and see approach with it. It doesn't seem to be spreading,

Edit: More info...
The O.Clown is about 1" long, and was bought from my LFS. It's tankmates there all seemed healthy. It was drip acclimated coming into the QT, even though it was kind of pointless as the LFS water parameters matched mine.

Edit again!...
What do fish "scabs" look like? I'm also wondering now that I look at him again if maybe he just got some little abrasion or something during the whole netting/transfer thing and this is just how fish deal with minor cuts/scratches.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:24 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
That's a tough one....here is an article on a possibility, I'll look for more, but this one deals with a whitish coloring around the mouth:
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/di...columnaris.htm
If it is Lymphocystis, you will need to QT him ASAP, as it can break off and spread to other fish, generally of the same species. Keep in ming, that is a maroon clown and have cheekspines and should not be netted.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
If it is Lymphocystis, you will need to QT him ASAP, as it can break off and spread to other fish, generally of the same species.
No problem, as he's in QT already. He's going to be the first fish in my new system.

Quote:
Keep in ming, that is a maroon clown and have cheekspines and should not be netted.
Not a maroon clown... just a dark picture! He/She's an Ocellaris Clown.

Thanks for the link. One thing about Lymphcystis... is the virus transmitted by water? Anyone know? Just thinking ahead to when the clown gets out of QT and into the main tank and I'm ready to QT my next addition to the tank.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:49 AM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Read this also

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=7

Scroll down to the disease he has. Good Luck.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

The viral particles in the water can go on to infect another fish of the same or closely related species. I suspect the virus can also become dormant and remain viable in sediments for years. The virus may be stored for years (for future research) by either freezing or freeze-drying the separated viral particles, infected tissues, or infected whole fish.
I got this from this site:
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...phocystis.html

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 10-04-2006, 04:40 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Any luck?

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 10-05-2006, 12:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
Any luck?
Nope.

The growth has gotten a bit bigger, but is not spreading anywhere else on the fish - it's just getting a little bigger around the perimeter and a little higher. When I first noticed it, it seems like it got really big overnight then part of it sloughed off. Then it started getting bigger again - but it's not sloughing off this time.

It's still eating just fine, and seems generally content. No gasping, flashing, or anything to make me think it's in distress.

I'm tempted to try a combo of Pimafix/Melafix, but it seems that most people say it doesn't really do anything. But on the other hand, it doesn't seem like it would hurt anything either.

So... I think I'll just decide to do nothing for the time being, then reevaluate come Monday.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:13 AM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You`ll eventually have to do something. It will kill your fish and infect your tank. I would start treatment now before he gets a secondary bacterial infection. Ypu`ll have to QT him.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
You`ll eventually have to do something. It will kill your fish and infect your tank. I would start treatment now before he gets a secondary bacterial infection. Ypu`ll have to QT him.
As I mentioned in my first post, he IS in quarantine - as he's been from day one as he's my first fish. He has nothing to kill but himself.

What treatment exactly would you recommend? Fungal? Lympho has no cure as I understand it...
Old 10-05-2006, 03:01 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Man, that's a bummer, being your first fish.
Per mels post:
2) Manually remove cysts
3) Daily formalin baths (5 drops per gallon), to prevent secondary infection
4) Do not return the fish to the display aquarium, until it has been cyst free for 2-3 weeks
I would also suggest soaking food in garlic extreme/selcon/zoe to try and help boost the immune system. At bare minimum, go with the garlic...

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Tags
clown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com