Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-19-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Macroalgae "stick" stuck in clown's mouth?

As usual, I couldn't get a picture of this, but will try to describe and see if anyone else has encountered this.

My O.Clown seems to have something stuck in its mouth, or stuck in/through his "lip". It looks like a short stalk (threadlike in diameter) of red macroalgae I have in my tank. It actually looks like he's smoking a little cigarette!

There's perhaps 0.2 inches of the stalk either sticking out his mouth, or just piercing his upper "lip". From one angle it looks like it's just sticking out his mouth and from the other angle it almost looks like it's going through his upper "lip".

The fish obviously knows it's there because he's "bumping" up against the glass, I think trying to dislodge it. I'm pretty sure its a stalk of macro as it flexes when he pushes it up against the glass. He doesn't seem bothered by it - he's not acting agitated or really any differently.

It didn't seem to effect his feeding last night, and as long he keeps eating and isn't causing any damage to himself trying to get it out, I think the best remedy is to just let him try to "work it out" himself.

I'm just curious if anyone else has encountered this? I suppose the other thing I could do would be to net him and try to manually pull it out. But I'm thinking I'd end up doing more damage to fix something that might fix itself.

Seems to be the week for weird fish tank things for me. My goby seems to be recovering from it's mystery illness, my brain coral seems unhappy and isn't expanding like normal, and now this. Guess it comes in threes.

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Just an update...

He ate normally (like a pig) last night, but now he's managed to get the other end of the stalk into his mouth also. You can just barely see the "loop" of algae right at the front of his mouth when he opens it a bit.

I'm guessing he'll either work it around to a position where he can spit it out, or maybe now that it's not getting light it'll die off so he can just eat it? Weird.

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I read your post last night and just had no idea what to do in that situation. It is really weird!

I would assume that it'll work itself out but... if it doesn't, maybe you can trap him in a net, get some needlenose plyers or tweezers and try to pull it out gently? I don't have a clue.

Good luck!

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote

algae, clown, ick, macroalgae, mouth, stuck

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com