Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2004, 02:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Magnetic algea cleaners

I have heard of some people epoxying ther Power heads to a Magfloat. I was wondering if this would interfear with the moter in the powerhead?

Quote:
Special precautions have to be made for handling and transportation due to their high magnetic attraction of metal parts and destructive effect on electronic parts.
this was copied and pasted from the discription area of the tunze cleaner at marine depot.

what do ya'll think? I am so sick of my Ph falling because the suction cups don't work as they are expected.

Thanks

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 03:02 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

well the "electronic parts" bit relates to anything with magnetic memory, such as cassette tapes, floppy disks or computer hard drives so thats not an issue. however they do typically have pretty potent magnet but I don't think it would be powerful enough to interfere with the electro magnet that the PH uses to drive the impeller. It deffinitely won't damage anything but may interfere... so try just leaving the cleaner next to the PH and see if you notice any change in the PH.

As far as the PH's falling down... I don't use the suction cups anymore, I use the plastic over the tank clips for all my PHs now.

Old 07-16-2004, 03:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
KILLER idea !
LEt us know if it works !
If it does I'm doing it !
Old 07-16-2004, 03:19 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I just had another thought though... around my area... those magnet cleaners cost apx $20+/- each (at least for the ones big enough to hold a PH). Thats a lot to pay for a PH mount. If you mount your PH to it... you're not going to use it to clean algae any more

You might consider a trip to HD. Find some cheap piece of plastic that has J shaped bend at one end and mount your PH to that and hang it over the lip of the tank. It'll be a lot cheaper than $20 per PH.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
All of my maxijet 1200's came with a J shaped piece of plastic to hang over the tank lip.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:03 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

as did mine. They were even adjustable to tank glass thickness and the height you wanted the PH to be.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
mine has a glass lid, and the PH's hang on the sides. and aside from that, those j pieces don't fit my tank. they would have to be about an inch wide at the J. the Loop part of that peice is only like 1/2 wide and pushes itself back off.
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 05:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Re: Magnetic algea cleaners

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefRaff
I have heard of some people epoxying ther Power heads to a Magfloat. I was wondering if this would interfear with the moter in the powerhead?

Quote:
Special precautions have to be made for handling and transportation due to their high magnetic attraction of metal parts and destructive effect on electronic parts.
this was copied and pasted from the discription area of the tunze cleaner at marine depot.

what do ya'll think? I am so sick of my Ph falling because the suction cups don't work as they are expected.

Thanks

I've never had my suction cups come loose..

Do you clean the area your going to put the power head before hand?

Cause it won't just stick to the glass, cause theres algae and slim there that you can't see that will prevent suction.

I just take my magflaot and clean an area 2x larger than the footprint of the power head, and stick it to the glass. And it sticks just fine. One powerheads been in the same place without falling since I got my SW tank.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
mine slip and i clean VERY WELL !
Old 07-16-2004, 07:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
ya mine dont move. but i also have my resting right next to the bottom of the tank. if it did fall it would fall and inch.

Tags
algea, clean, cleaner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com